HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deerless (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/172586-deerless.html)

unicornp3 12-30-2006 08:29 AM

Deerless

OK this may sound really really weird and stupid but I thought I would ask anyway. I have been hunting for years. Usually can bag between 1-4 per year, same as my husband...but this year everyone on the club is deerless. We have like a few days left of this season and we have all pretty much given up. There are plenty of acorns on the ground, food plots, and leading up to the season we were throwing out corn and salt blocks.

Now here is the really strange thing. While we have seen NO deer, NO turkeys and hardley any squirrels...(which all of this is odd) we have seen a record number sighting of armadillos. We have seen them at all times of the day, mid day, evening, afternnon, morning, does not matter. We have seen big ones and baby ones...and we have NEVER seen an armadillo on the club.

Now I am not sure about this and neither was my husband or my father, but they told me to invesitgate. Could the increase in armadillos spotting be keeping the other animals at bay. Now sure if this could be the case, it just seems really strange. Oh and we have seen1 oppossum and a Bobcat and its baby.

Thanks all

VA HEAD HUNTER 12-30-2006 10:01 AM

RE: Deerless

all i can say is that when we had ferrel pigs move into an area here it pushed other animals away for a while till they couls learn to co exsist with eachother.

outdoorslover 12-30-2006 10:22 AM

All I can tell you is that last year I saw virtually no deer in my hunting woods and this year I saw dozens. Don't ask me why.

Firehawk7309 12-30-2006 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: unicornp3

OK this may sound really really weird and stupid but I thought I would ask anyway. I have been hunting for years. Usually can bag between 1-4 per year, same as my husband...but this year everyone on the club is deerless. We have like a few days left of this season and we have all pretty much given up. There are plenty of acorns on the ground, food plots, and leading up to the season we were throwing out corn and salt blocks.

Now here is the really strange thing. While we have seen NO deer, NO turkeys and hardley any squirrels...(which all of this is odd) we have seen a record number sighting of armadillos. We have seen them at all times of the day, mid day, evening, afternnon, morning, does not matter. We have seen big ones and baby ones...and we have NEVER seen an armadillo on the club.

Now I am not sure about this and neither was my husband or my father, but they told me to invesitgate. Could the increase in armadillos spotting be keeping the other animals at bay. Now sure if this could be the case, it just seems really strange. Oh and we have seen1 oppossum and a Bobcat and its baby.

Thanks all
Could be that the deer are having to move less since mast crop is so abundant.