Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Question about a new spot

Old 11-26-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Big Question about a new spot

I just got permission to hunt on a 150 acres or so around my home town. This is just about the only spot that I have at home, I usually hunt around where I go to school, any way my question is that I have no stands in the area. I would normally just go and scout it, but the guy who's family owns the land wants to go hunting with me on it tomorrow. He has never been hunting before, and he wants to go and since it is his land I will go. Anyway my question after all that is How should I hunt this. I don't want to go walking throught there and spook some deer that I might be able to get later. I thought about making a ground blind. I also thought about just sitting him down and making him stay. I also thought about stalking as best as I can. What are ya'lls suggestions. I want to make this guy happy because it is great land that has had zero hunting pressure. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Question about a new spot

If there are any roads or firebreaks going into/through the area, just walk the road or firebreak untill you see a fairly good looking deer trail crossing the road. Walk down the deer trail off the road, keep the wind in your face, and go slow. Find a spot that you can see a good ways and sit down by a tree like you were turkey hunting. This is how I go into a new area without scouting. It works great for me. Also if there are any streams or creek beds the deer are bound to use them as trails. Look for acorns or food sources as you move. Go in right at daybreak when it gets light enough that you don't need a flashlight. That way you can pick a spot to hunt at easier. Wherever you sit your buddy at, just walk about 50-100 yards away and sit down. Chances are, one of you will see a deer. Good luck.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-26-2002, 10:28 PM

Default RE: Big Question about a new spot

Thanks I was thinking that I would just find a stream and follow it, so I am glad that you mentioned that. I just want to make sure that he has a good time. I also want to make sure that he doesn't shoot me, I think he will be fine his dad is the sherrif of the county, I guess that is the way I will do it. Thanks alot I am off to bed, so I can make it down there early.