Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Maine Hunting Shoes

Old 12-26-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Maine Hunting Shoes

I've been thinking of getting a pair for a couple years. I do most of my hunting in WI. I'm wondering how they would be for stillhunting during gun season. I'm concerned that they would be not warm enough if I posted up for a couple hours. I'm also concerned about traction. Anyone out there own / usethem?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maine Hunting Shoes

I've got 2 pair. The key is to get them large enough for some big bulky wool socks. I like them but wouldn't recommend them for really cold temps.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM

If your talking about LL Bean boots, don't bother. They're not well insulated, the traction is bad and they leak.

I prefer Lacrosse Alpha Burly with the air bob soles andsome Smart Wool Socks.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pair of the 16" high Bean Maine hunting boots. They are an early season thing. The traction is not very agressive at all, but for the bow season in Michigan, expecially early bow season from October 1st through around October 20th you can be ok unless you get a real cold snap... and even then if you have a little room in the boots for a thicker sock you would be ok.
But they are definitely NOT fo stand hunting.
If you were to do a lot of walking and moving they would be ok for colder temps, but once you stop for a sti for longer than 20 minutes you would probably get into trouble with cold toes unless you had some boot blankets.