Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Sticks????

Old 12-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Shooting Sticks????

I'm looking to buy a set of shooting sticks for my up coming muzzleloader hunt.I'm looking to take 100-150 yd shots with my ML. I've found several different types of shooting sticks, but I want your opinions on which to get and why.

I'm looking for a compact, practical, and easy to use in a moments notice without creating a huge disturbance set of sticks... I may end up making a simple pair if I feel up to it. This wayI can make exactly what I want.

I found some online called "slingstix" but they seemed like they would open too fast or loud in a moments notice (They actually fold down out of a sling). Since I may be wearing a light backpack I was think of using 25-33" sticks and placing them in my back pack so I can reach back and pull it out ... kinda like a sword, rather than use a retracting kind that folds up to 12-14 inches. I have never used sticks before so let me know what you guys recommend.Thanks ... [align=right][/align]

Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 PM

Default RE: Shooting Sticks????

I have always used a forked stick like the one you would rest a fishin pole in but larger.
It has always worked for me. I made a post about it, most people poked fun at it, but if it works it works...here is the link
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1873851
Old 12-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I build a tripod like this:

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
Old 12-23-2006, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: wildchild04

I build a tripod like this:

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
that works too,actually stabilizes better butI have found over the years though, that it is more convenient to find a spot for one "leg" as opposed to two...
especially in thick woods and lowland smamps
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Spike

Try a search on yahoo, etc for Underwood rests. They make folding shooting sticks in different lengths for sitting, kneeling, standing, etc. They are a quality product. You can either carry them folded up and unfold them when you get where you're going or unfold them and carry them that way. I believe you would really like them. Me and my son and best hunting buddy sure do. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for even cheaper than they are on Underwood's website.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 PM

I don't really like shooting sticks they're too cumbersome. Check out Harris Bipods, here's a link: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20774&rid=

By the way Harris is what the military uses.