Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hit a running deer? >

How do you hit a running deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:09 PM

Default RE: How do you hit a running deer?

You have to keep your scope power low like 2-4X. You also have to have your gun set up so when you pull up your gun it's right where you looking. If not you might need to have your stock fitted or adjust your scope. I've had real good luck with my Remington 760. A nice wide angle scope will also help. Practice picking out something in the woods and see how quick you can find it in your scope. You can even do this at the range. Lower your gun and bring it up as fast as you can, pick out the target and fire. If you get good at this at 100yrds you should be able to hit a deer no problem. The other problem is how fast they are running. I had to lead a deer by about 3ft one time. It was running flat out broadside to me at 100 yrds. The first shot I put right on the shoulder and it hit the dirt behind the deer. By the third shot I had it dialed in and dropped it. If they are closer and only at a good trot, put it right on the shoulder, maybe slightly forward. Always be ready for a second shot and watch the deer's reaction. If you are focused you can see where your bullet hits and make an adjustment with your follow up shot. Some gunning clubs have a running deer shoot a few times a year. If you get a chance, go it's almost like the real thing. Some guys think this is unethical, but I don't really care.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Putting this thread inFull Metal Jacket context"AnyBuck that runs is a VC, Any Buck that stands still is a well disciplined VC, How do you shot Does and Fawns??? Its easy ya just don't lead Does and Fawns as much..."
Old 12-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I agree get him to stopor find one that will
Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Site Buck Guru

Pull up next to him then turn sharply into his path!
Old 12-24-2006, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, you don't hit a running a deer. They usually seem more then happy to hit you while traveling on the PA turnpike.

In all seriousness, I'm very confident in my shooting abilities and have no problem hitting a target 500 yards away without a scope. But when it comes to a running deer, I'd probably pass on it. It's not worth the risk of just injuring the sucker and never seeing the deer again. Patience.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:38 PM

Most likely the only way the average hunter could make that shot would be if they used buckshot and the distance was around 20 yards.
Old 12-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Host of Hosts

I don't shoot a running deer, but that's just me.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont think about it with a scope. Iron sights it's not that hard. I usually aim about an inch infront of the shoulder's/chest. And buy the time the bullet reaches the deer it will usually hit about 4-8 inches behind the shoulder. Every deer I have killed has been running.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

with my truck....

Quick Reply: How do you hit a running deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.