Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

building stands

Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default building stands

I am new to bowhunting this year, and my inlaws have about 150 acres south of lynchburg. I see deer signs everywhere, but hardly any buck signs. Need some advice on attracting buck. also, does anyone know how or have plans for building their own stand?
Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: building stands

Don't know what kind of stand you are talking about, but if it is a ground blind I would get one of those pop up blinds, easier to put up and move. If you mean a ladder stand I would bet you can buy one that is lighter, safer, will last longer and for about the same or less money.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:30 AM

find a tree that u want a stand in put a 2by4 on eachside how ever high u want your standthen on the end ofthose put 2by4that go down to the ground then start adding steps and then add the top of the plat form and add extra strength by putting a bored from each side of the ladder to the side of the tree
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like permanent stands. But you’re making a commitment to them by choosing them. First, you are committing to an area or tree, so you must know that this is a good area and not just because the deer are there now. What will keep them coming back? Funnels are good areas for permanent stands because the deer are going to be using these funnels no matter what. Even if a funnel is over hunted, they deer will soon go back to their ways and continue to use it once the pressure is off. I’d also pick a spot that allows you to see a large area with your binoculars. This will allow you to learn a lot about the deer in the area. Even if you’re hunting with a bow, you may learn about a new trail or food source, and the deer to change routes, especially when they start feeling pressure. The next part of the commitment is time and effort. I like to be comfortable, and use stands when I cannot stalk hunt, like in times when the temps keep the ground way too loud for walking. Since I sometimes spend all day in a stand comfort is of utmost importance to me. It can make the difference between being miserable and being comfortable and enjoying yourself. Here is a list of things to consider when building a permanent stand;

-Use only one tree to build the stand. A hardwood that splits into three large branches is my favorite. Using more than one tree will cause the stand to fail prematurely since the trees will have different rates of sway in the wind.
-Design it so that you can sit in different places on the stand. For instance you may be expecting the deer to be coming from the east in the morning toward their bed and the west in the evening toward the food. Only being able to face one direction wouldn’t be a good idea.
-Try to have some cover. I would try to pick a tree that is next to an evergreen or a beach tree, which holds its leaves for a while. I also wrap the stand in a burlap style blind material. The burlap allows you to move more with out being detected and the natural cover will help the new burlap wrapped stand not look like a Ford up in a tree.
-Build the stand like you’re building a deck. Use good lumber that doesn’t have defects. I like using 2x10 or 2x12 for the joists, 5 ¼ boards for the floor and 2x6 for handrails. Also, if possible place the joists and railings on the insides of the branches. That way the wood is actually resting on the branch and not solely relying on your hardware. Use lag and carriage bolts to hold everything together and deck screws for the floor.
-Finally I would tie some stings from the branches above for watching wind direction, use a few. You don’t want to be turning your head every time you wonder about the wind. Install multiple hooks for holding your equipment up off the floor. This prevents clutter at your feet and you don’t have to move much to reach your things when you need them. Put some pipe insulation on the tops of the handrails. This helps keep things quiet when you’re leaning on the rails using binoculars, an arrow rubs it, or while using them as a gun rest.
-Inspect and repair as necessary at least annually.
[ol][/ol]

Ladder stands and climbers are cool too. They are great for changing locations on the fly or going into unfamiliar territory. But these stands aren’t as comfortable. So you’ll have to decide what is most important to you. Keep in mind that there isn’t anything wrong with having both!
Good luck, and be safe,
KP
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like K.P. has you locked on and then some! I wouldnt recomend any attractant for the bucks.If you have does,they should be chasing them in your area now.No buck sign doesnt nessisarily mean no bucks are arround,and this time of year,all they want is a girlfriend.Look for realy big tracks. Older deer usually wear out there shoes(hoofs) like we do.We all walk differantly and as we grow older our walk becomes part of our character.Deer do it too and if you realy spend some time watching tracks,You will notice that mabe ine toe is longer than the other,or he has a kind of gimp that favors one side.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting buddies and I find a big tree and put some 2 X 4's in it and then take a super sturdy pallet (preferably one that has a solid top) and set it on top of the 2 X 4's and screw it down onto the 2 X 4's. This has worked extremely well for us and we have had no problems with the stands. Then what we do is a couple of months before the season starts, we go and check it over really well and make sure it will be safe. If it looks really weathered, go get another pallet and switch them out. Takes about five to ten minutes to switch the pallets out. You can get pallets for next to nothing and usually free if you look hard enough. The pallet we have up right now has been up for three years without having to be changed.