HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Northern VA 8-point (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/170977-northern-va-8-point.html)

rajmoran 12-19-2006 12:35 PM

Northern VA 8-point

Was able to get out yesterday afternoon, with temps in the 70s. I didn't think I'd see much action. Boy was I wrong. I have permission to hunt a small horse farm north of Leesburg. My ladder stand is in a huge tulip poplar in the middle of the lower pasture. I'm bordered on the right by woods and on the left by a wooded creek that seperates the pasture and a grassy uphill slope surrounded by woods. I got into the chair around 3:30. Around 4, I heard some crunching in the woods to my right. Five minutes later I watched 3 does hop the fence into my field. A minute aftert that, a small fork buck with one antler busted off followed the does and immediately charged them. The action took them all directly behind my tree, so there was no chance of me shooting any of them. I listened for a while and the ruckus died down, then I looked over the creek to my left and noticed the spike halfway up the hill pointed toward me and looking back into my field. Then I noticed him quickly look behind himself, then start purposefully away. I was about to put the scope down when this 8-pointer walked out of the woods and onto the slope. My heart was beating out of my chest, but I managed to calm down enough to take the shot. This is the best deer I've ever shot and I've been hunting a lot this year with no luck, so that all combined to make me feel a lot of urgency about this shot. He walked about 15 feet and expired. Anyway, the heat doesn't seem to slow them down. Oh, and neither do horses. My pasture was full of them during this whole thing, and neither the deer nor the horses paid any attention to the other at any time.

My rifle is a Remington M700SPS in .270WSM w/ a Leupold Rifleman scope. The shot was 100 yards.

rajmoran 12-19-2006 12:39 PM

RE: Northern VA 8-point

Another picture.

CamoCop 12-19-2006 12:43 PM

nice buck

buckhunter14 12-19-2006 01:00 PM

Awesome buck, way to go! Get that blood of them horns, otherwise it might stain them! Congrats!

Aught Six 12-19-2006 03:28 PM

Great buck, congratulations!

No Mercy 12-19-2006 03:29 PM

Congratz, Very nice buck!

monsterbucks2011 12-19-2006 03:45 PM

nice buck.

cmkibler 12-19-2006 07:16 PM

I live about 50 miles from Leesburg (Shenandoah County) and use to hunt in Loudoun County. I use to hunt back behind Round Hill and it always had a lot of deer. Nice buck, rajmoran.

HunterKel 12-19-2006 07:53 PM

Nice! Congrats!

Steve F.in MD 12-20-2006 03:56 AM

Good job. I'm heading out this morning. Your story gives me hope that there might be one more out there.