Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Warm weather?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Default RE: Warm weather?

I've had some really good luck in warm weather. Shot a buck in OK, 1990?1:00 pm opening day, it must have been pushing 80.

Late Nov, early Dec, deer want feed. You can use warm weather to your advantage by understanding deer behavior. If it's comfortable for you to be out there, it's comfortable for them.

Think mornings. Even if it pushes 60 for a high, it should remain in the 40's for a few hours in the morning. This is prime hunting time, because it's easy for you to be comfortable out there, and deer should be moving, taking advantage of comfortable conditions. Also,I believe that scenting conditions are better in warmer temperatures, and bucks in particular would take advantage of that.

Think evenings. If it's been warm all day, you know it will cool off in the night, and deer know it too. I killed a nice doe on 11/24 this year in the evening, high that day was in the 50's. This was in northern WI, 20 degrees above normal. If they've been laying up in the heat, they will come out at night, it's just a question of where. Deer that aren't bugged will almost always be on their feet in shooting light in the evening.

During the middle of the day, rest and feed and maintain your equipment. lol
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Warm weather?

It has been warm for most of the season here in VA. Today it is supposed to be close to 70 degrees. At night lately it goes down to the high 30's and low 40's. Last year it was colder at this time of the year and I had snow in my front yard. I'm holding out for a few perfect days towards the end of the season which ends on Jan 6.