Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Still Hunting questions

Old 11-25-2002, 08:59 AM
Spike

Default Still Hunting questions

Hi to everyone,
I just started this year the still hunting and I came up with many questions and concerns. In my area it is too thick and almost impossible to see the deer before you spook it. Yesterday a deer jumped out of the bedding area less than 10 yards away from me. I used the grunt call and it stopped somewhere! After 5 minutes I hear it snorting to death and running, the only thing that I was able to see was the white tail, I didn't even had the chance to lift the gun. The wind was going all over the place.
Do any of you guys have success with still hunting? When did you actually had a chance to shoot? Were you able to see the deer beding and shoot it there? I am really confused as to what is the right aproach to still hunting. I can't see how you can go near to the deer and to have a clean shot also.
So far I managed to drive at least 3 deers to other hunters spots!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

--John

PS. Three of the hunters I met in the woods were still hunting and 2 were on high ground waiting.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:23 AM

Default RE: Still Hunting questions

It took me many years to get it figured out, and I am still learning. I like to hunt from the ground. I get bored waiting in ambush in a deer stand. I still use them, but hunt from the ground and still hunt a large percentage of the time. What is your pace like? I have learned it needs to be painfully slow. I move only a few yards. Stop behind some cover like a tree or whatever, and scan the area with binoculars. I don't move for 10 or so minutes, just slowly look around. A camo net cover for your face is helpful, even if you are also wearing hunter orange. Your uncovered face shines like a flashlight. I have had deer look right at me and go about their business if wearing my netting. If not, they usually snort and run. Another item I suggest is the stalkers boot covers. They are felt like soft material that muffle your sound greatly while walking on crunchy leaves. Also, don't forget to clear the leaves from around a tree should you decide you've discovered a great place to watch from for a while. That way if a deer comes along and you must turn or adjust your position to get a shot, you won't make noise crunching leaves and twigs while moving. When I am clearing leaves in this manner, I blow my grunt call quietly to simulate a buck making a scrape. Has worked for me numerous times.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:38 AM

Like sugarmtn said this type of hunting takes alot of patience. You need to take about 3-5 steps then remain very still and quite while scaning the area. If you can try to stop next to some sort of cover. You'll also want to make sure that your cloths are free of scent. I found that if I can hide my face that it does help. It also helps if you can crouch down that way if a deer does see you you won't look so big to them. The biggest thing is to always keep your scences sharp always be looking around. Alot of times you'll end up walking right up on a deer and never even noticed him until its to late. Also when walking try to be as quite as possible.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Always try to keep the wind into your face or atleast to your side. I have taken my bests bucks while still hunting near the end of the season during the middle of the day. There are less hunters out and about and the deer are less afraid to move around. I work along the down wind side of heavy cover and spot them feeding along the edge. I've never spotted one in it's bed.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:52 AM

I like to still hunt when the right conditions present themself. I usually wait to still hunt when the ground is wet after a rain or even in a light rain, you can sneak along more easily & cover more ground. The best time to still hunt though in my opinion is when the ground is snow covered, especially after fresh snow. The reason being is not only is it quiet but you can see the deer much better & also you can use their fresh tracks in the fresh snow to move in on deer that you know are just up ahead.

Another tactic that I have had success with is if your in an area with terrain that has steep edges or short cliff like walls, you can sneak over to the edge & see deer lots of times standing or even bedded on the bench below.

Patience, moving slowly & quietly, & keeping your eyes open are the biggest keys when you still hunt. Hope this helped good luck!!

Get your kids in the woods & off the streets !!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Spike

Thanks, this is great info! In case that I spook the deer how far do you guys thing that it will go? Is it a lost case to follow it?

--John
Old 11-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I type to slow and there is so many thing to being a good still hunter I'd be here a week just on the one subject . I will tell you the same thing my dad told me , know the country your hunting and where the deer are in the habit of bedding and the rest will come to you .
In the thick brush we used to team up to hunt that kind of cover . One hunter get in a position to see and the other hunter come through the brush pushing the deer to his partner . Spend some time in the woods and it will come to you ,good luck
Old 11-25-2002, 07:17 PM

Scout your area out ,see if it looks like the spot that deer are going to use. Then go in before dark and stay.......it might seem discouraging for the first 10 hours but just before dark you might just harvest one of the biggest deer there, or you might not see anything, but be thankful that you had the chance to go.
Mike
Old 11-25-2002, 07:43 PM

Didn't see anyone else answer the question bout how far they run. It varies but they will seldom run more than 25-30 yards. Usually they circle to see what it was that spooked them.

Hope that helps but let me add this to maybe help you. Deer rely on three things. First is the nose. Second hearing and third is the eyes. My personal experience is they will seldom spook and run if they only get a bead on you with one of them. Soon as two of them line up, they spook. If one spooks freeze and relax. You may still get another chance. He doesn't usually go far. Look for an eye or a nose downwind. Good luck.

"Size isn't important, but it HELPS!!!"
Old 11-25-2002, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take about 4 steps and then stop and go down on one knee to listen and watch.Keep the wind in your face. Do you know what a freshly killed deer smells like? Live deer smell the same way, sniff the air if it isn't to cold and try to separate that smell from the rest of the woody smells. This takes practice but you'd be suprised how many deer you can smell before you see or hear them. I had good luck with this in the early fall. Still hunting is best when you use ALL your sences. Not all people can smell deer, not many can do it consitantly (I can't). You have a better chance if you don't smoke or live around people who do. It also doesn't work well in the cold.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"

Quick Reply: Still Hunting questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.