Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 how to put a stand up high safely >

how to put a stand up high safely

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to put a stand up high safely

Old 12-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how to put a stand up high safely

The area i hunt has a hugelone pine treee in the swamp and i know the deer are going in there and hanging out so i thought if i could get to the top of the tree i could look out all around and see the deer pretty good.
THe tree has plenty of branches to climb on like steps to the top. I want to put a stand up high with a rope coming down and use a pursic knot set up to safely climb up it . My question is how do i safely climb it the first time to get it set up? I usualy use a climber with a harness but this tree has to many branches for that.iwas trying to think of other ways to stay tethered to the tree. Any ideas would be helpful
Old 12-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how to put a stand up high safely

THe tree has plenty of branches to climb on like steps to the top.
Don't do it.

Use climbing sticks or screw in steps.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

The area i hunt has a hugelone pine treee in the swamp and i know the deer are going in there and hanging out so i thought if i could get to the top of the tree i could look out all around and see the deer pretty good.
THe tree has plenty of branches to climb on like steps to the top. I want to put a stand up high with a rope coming down and use a pursic knot set up to safely climb up it . My question is how do i safely climb it the first time to get it set up? I usualy use a climber with a harness but this tree has to many branches for that.iwas trying to think of other ways to stay tethered to the tree. Any ideas would be helpful
How would you get your wep up there in one piece without damage?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Your best bet in my opinon is a 18 to 20 foot ladder stand.Just for info for anyone when putting up a tall ladderstand tie a rope on both sides of platform raise ladder tie ropes off to tree behind you before climbing ladder to attach to tree. This makes more safe to climb unattached ladder.Ropes tied same way when taking stand down helps alot.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would put it on my back .i could use steps to climb but what i am asking is how to intialy get up to the top safely. I'm not sure what is the easiast to do so i am always tethered to the tree
Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cut a line of branches out on one side of the tree and get a bunch of climbing sticks hook them all the way up and go slow with safety harness.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

I would put it on my back .i could use steps to climb but what i am asking is how to intialy get up to the top safely. I'm not sure what is the easiast to do so i am always tethered to the tree
Polock style.Cut the tree down and place in tree and stand tree back up.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Very carefully.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Rhody Hunter

To answer your ? look in the yellow pages under Arborist, see if you can find one that will set you up for a small fee. I have seen to many amateurs get hurt climbing a tree thatwas more than they could handle.Better yet if he hunts get to know him they are good to have around and can teach you the safest way to climb.

I was a Arborist for 20 year's it makes climbing stands not needed, a nice litehang on and you are good to go.

HH

Paul
Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my stands are in large red cedars. I don't know how similar they are to the pines you're talking about, but the limbs make great steps. Sometimes you have to put in a screw in step or two where there aren't limbs in the right place, though.

Quick Reply: how to put a stand up high safely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.