Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Not a deer, but I still scored. >

Not a deer, but I still scored.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not a deer, but I still scored.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Not a deer, but I still scored.

I went deer hunting yesterday morning and about 7:15 a beautiful red fox came down my creek bottom and stopped broadside, 40 yards away.

I was carrying my BLR 308 and put the crosshairs right on the bottom of his belly, about where his belly-button would be. I grazed him perfectly, and he fell on the spot. The bullet actually field dressed the fox; splitting him from sternum to anus and dumpin all the guts on the ground, leaving a perfect "field-dress" type slit along his underside. The pelt stayed in tact with vertually no damage. The shock wave did dislocate both of his back legs, but that shouldn't matter. I'm gonna have him full-body mounted.

This was a beautiful red fox; almost as bright as my hunter's orange vest. He weighed about 20-25 lbs and was probably 4 ft long from the tip of his tail to his nose. His ears and feet were black, everything else red(orange).

I can't wait to get my mount back!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:54 AM

Default RE: Not a deer, but I still scored.

sounds like some slick shooting man
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, I can't wait to get a fox this winter.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 12-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did you manage to get that to happen with a broadside shot? Doesn''t make sense.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:47 PM

How did you manage to get that to happen with a broadside shot? Doesn''t make sense.

Good question.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how it happened. The only thing I can figure is that with such a small animal the 308 just barely knicked him, and the shock wave just blew it out of him...I dunno? The intestines were still attached to the anus, but hanging out, and 1 kidney was still in him, but other than that, everything was laying on the ground next to him...it was the strangest thing I've ever seen from a bullet wound. And the wound looked almost surgical. I was very surprised. And looking at him, I couldn't find an entrance or exit wound. The only thing I could figure is that the bullet just grazed him, and opened him. I dunno? But man, I was very happy. This was my first fox.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:35 PM

Congratz, I want to get a fox sometime
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM

thats awesome man! You got a picture of him?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on getting a fox, but your story has some small problems. Why would you intentionally aim for a gut shot? Put the crosshairs on his bellybutton? Come on. Nobody does that. If it was a broadside shot, it sounds to me like you made a bad shot and concocted the story afterwards. Second, how does a shot aimed to go through from side to side end up with a lengthwise wound? And, you just grazed him, but the "shock wave" dislocated his hips? From the description of the wounds and injuries, it sounds to me like it wasn't a broad side shot, but a walking away shot, entering just below his anus, along the belly, and exiting at just before the sternum. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but, I watch CSI a lot, and that is the inference from the evidence.

Quick Reply: Not a deer, but I still scored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.