Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Not a deer, but I still scored. >

Not a deer, but I still scored.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Not a deer, but I still scored.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Not a deer, but I still scored.

That's awesome! Congrats, I've never shot a fox before....
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Congrats on getting a fox, but your story has some small problems. Why would you intentionally aim for a gut shot? Put the crosshairs on his bellybutton? Come on. Nobody does that. If it was a broadside shot, it sounds to me like you made a bad shot and concocted the story afterwards. Second, how does a shot aimed to go through from side to side end up with a lengthwise wound? And, you just grazed him, but the "shock wave" dislocated his hips? From the description of the wounds and injuries, it sounds to me like it wasn't a broad side shot, but a walking away shot, entering just below his anus, along the belly, and exiting at just before the sternum. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but, I watch CSI a lot, and that is the inference from the evidence.
Dont really have anything to say about the shot. Stranger things have happend but couldnt pass up the CSI comment.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

ipscshooter,
i'm sorry my story doesn't make sense to you. i missed the CSI episode where someone shot a fox, which you're basing your opinion on. but he was definitely broadside.

i shot the belly b/c if you shoot a 20 lb fox with a deer rifle at close range and hit anything solid, you dumba$$, it will blow it all to pieces. I didn't want to do that. The whole point was to just graze his soft belly and do as little damage as possible.

I too was surprised how the bullet split him like that from front to back on the broadside shotl...that's half the reason i made my post. I guess it's like shooting a milk jug that's full of water at close range. no two rips in the side of it will be the same, but it will definitely blow the water out at surprising angles.

BTW, Just Curious - CSI seems to be so influential with you...Do you make healthcare decisions based on episodes of Grey's Anatomy?
Old 12-18-2006, 05:49 PM

I have done the same shot on coyote and even a pine martin to get mounted ,no damage to the hide but a little ugly to clean up.

[/align]
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAH ths78, Greys Anatomy is the dumbest show I have ever seen.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:55 PM

OKay...just on the notion of being ethical...who the hell aims for a gut shot...oh wait for the mount...So on this assumption I should shoot a deer in his a$$ hole if I intend to do a full body mount? Just going by the conversation...

Choose the right weapon for the quarry...or dont shoot if you cant make it an ethical kill...

Again just my worthless 2 cents...

Frankie
Old 12-18-2006, 08:47 PM

If I was shooting a fox with a .308 and I wanted to get it mounted I would do the same thing. A shot to the shoulder would destroy it. A low gut shot would do less damage and kill the animal just as quick. You have to remember your dealing with a pretty small critter, it's a little different than shooting a deer in the guts.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm!

Canyou PM me some ,muckland?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ths78

ipscshooter,
i'm sorry my story doesn't make sense to you. i missed the CSI episode where someone shot a fox, which you're basing your opinion on. but he was definitely broadside.
The CSI comment was meant to be funny.

i shot the belly b/c if you shoot a 20 lb fox with a deer rifle at close range and hit anything solid, you dumba$$, it will blow it all to pieces. I didn't want to do that. The whole point was to just graze his soft belly and do as little damage as possible.
I just love internet tough guys.Do you call people things like that to their face?

I guess I'm just not the kind of marksman that is good enough to try to make a shot with the intent of "just grazing his soft belly". You can paint this little picture any way you want butintentionally gutshooting any animal is unethical. Like I said, I'm not that good; and, I doubt that you are that good either.

I too was surprised how the bullet split him like that from front to back on the broadside shotl...that's half the reason i made my post. I guess it's like shooting a milk jug that's full of water at close range. no two rips in the side of it will be the same, but it will definitely blow the water out at surprising angles.
It is surprising. And that's all I was trying to point out. All I said was, from the description of the wounds, it sounds like something else happened. The evidence didn't support your claim. I even apologized if I was wrong, but you decide to go ahead and call me a dumba$$ anyway? Geez... a little bit defensive aren't we?

BTW, Just Curious - CSI seems to be so influential with you...Do you make healthcare decisions based on episodes of Grey's Anatomy?
Like I said, the CSI comment was meant as a joke, to try and make the post a little bit lighter. I've never seen Grey's Anatomy. I get most of my medical advise from reruns of M*A*S*H*.

Quick Reply: Not a deer, but I still scored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.