HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What to do if anything? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/170557-what-do-if-anything.html)

Runningun 12-16-2006 08:01 PM

What to do if anything?

Along my fathers drive I found a hide in a pile guts in a pile and the naked crusted body of a headless deer. Thereis a tag on the back left leg adressed to the guy that lives next toDad in-law.The tag is dated the later part of Nov.
Whatcould be the deal?
Should I call the guy and offer to bury the remains in order to find out what happened or just mind my own?

farmchick 12-16-2006 08:05 PM

RE: What to do if anything?

That's just plain slack there. Left it on the drive? Personally, I would call and ask him if he could put the carcas in a little better place.

Runningun 12-16-2006 08:07 PM

I worry about the dogs dragging it all over the place and the fact the he made the kill and did nothing with meat but let it rot, I guess I want to know why.

DeerWhisperer 12-17-2006 05:40 AM

To me that's just plain rude. You do not throw the remains in your neighbors yard or along their drive. If he threw it along my drive and it has his tag on it i would call DNR and let them talk to him. He will learn a valuble lesson. Not to throw his dead deer remains anywhere he wishes and to dispose of them properly.

petasux 12-17-2006 07:35 AM

Thats wierd, the heads gone, the meats all there but he used his tag on it then left it lay?Id call him and ask him what the hell the problem was, could be a logical reason the deer carcass wound up where you found it, coulds be the guys just a slob.Id get ahold of him first, get the story, then if you dont like the answer call the DNR, wanton waste of games a crime in most states.

Jimmy S 12-17-2006 07:59 AM

I would have to ask myself, why would any hunter leave that deer there with his tag on it?

Something doesn't sound right here.

I would place a call to the hunter, explain what you saw and ask what gives.

No finger pointing until I got the "story behind the story".

isatarak 12-17-2006 09:34 AM

My guess is somebody didn't get it taken care ofin time and it spoiled. If that had happend to me, though, I would have been so embarrassed I would have put it where no one would find it. It's also possible the person who shot it gave it to some one else and they let it spoil. Either way, it's a sad waste of a deer.

petasux 12-17-2006 10:12 AM

I shot one a few years ago that had been hit by a car or something, wasnt a gunshot anyway.It was full of infection, when I went to gut it the body cavity was full of the foulest stuff I ever seen, bloody and green and the smell was terrible.I had to leave it right where it dropped, if I had had my tag on it before I started gutting it it might have looked to someone stumbling acrossed it just about like the one hes describing.Only difference woulda been I left the head, antlers and everything, I couldnt stomach cutting into it again[:'(]

mudtutl 12-17-2006 10:19 AM

Something here is weird. The shooter guts and skins the deer, probably at that location since that's where the gut pile is. Tags the deer, removes the head and leaves the rest? I'm guessing from the info provided that the meat was left on. A poacher interested only in antlers is unlikely totag and skin it. And it's found on private property? Did the person whose tag was on the deer have permission to hunt there? I'm not sure what to think. Guess I'd call the neighbor and ask. At a minimum, I'd ask whoever is responsible to remove the remains from my property.I'd be interested to hear how thisturns out.

uncle matt 12-17-2006 12:44 PM

Let the DNR police sort it out. It's stuff like that that gives PETA and other folks against hunters ammo.

Not to mention that it is just disrespectful to the animal.

I wouldn't put yourself in the middle. If the guy's stupid enough to dump like that and leave his tag attached............well ya can't fix stupid.