Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i should be beaten for this

Old 12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: i should be beaten for this

As others have said, We all have shots that we wish we could take back! But you can't! That bad, sick feeling, shows that you know that you made a mistake. Just learn from it. If you shot her in the jaw, was it just a terrible shot? Or were you trying to make the infamous head shot? If so, then, you really should feel bad, and hopefully you've learned to take higher percentage shot!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Hopefully this experience has taught you a couple lessons.

1. Make sure your equipment is properly sighted and tuned.

2.Shot selection. Only take a broadside or quartering shot and shoot the deer in the vitals (lungs or heart).

Good luck to you.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:59 AM

Last year my son killed a good 9 point it had half a bottom jaw born that way. bottom jaw was 2 in shorter than top jaw. hair and markings on bottom jaw perfect. Sorry no picture I know of Ill ask my son.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 AM

that same thing happend to my father a couple of years back but she ran straight into the property fence and got caught up and died.

but most likely shell die.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

So let me get this straight...You shoot a doe, you hear her go down, yet you went to get help?

I guess I don't undertand why you left immediately to get help instead of going to her to hopefully put her down quickly.

If there's a valid reason, I apologize, if not, you made a terrible mistake in judgement.
She deserved to be put down just as soon as possible.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:29 AM

At least you learned from your mistake and not brushiong it off like it's no big deal. This will make you a better hunter. Mistakes happen. Good luck to you.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Keep looking.

You may have hit the deer through the chest/neck/throat and blood is just coming out her mouth. This happens with lung shots, stomach shots, neck shots, etc.

Good luck finding her.

PS, I'm sorry you made the mistake. It sounds like you've learned from the experience, and that's a good thing. When I track deer that I know have been hit, I always go after them with a 12 gauge and buckshot. I've never had to use it, but believe it would be great for finishing a wounded deer that I jump while searching.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you learn a lesson.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:45 PM

Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off.. People treat does like pieces of garbage.. and most hunters think does are the ones to take out there "FUN" shots.. and I'm willing to bet you were going after a "cool" headshot.. if so, its your own fault.. and secondly.. what kind of a hunter shoots a deer and LEAVES without knowing where it is or if it is even dead before gettin help.. AND why did you need HELP with a doe.. you dont got enough strength to drag out a little ol' doe by yourself? buck up man.. be a hunter..

Quick Reply: i should be beaten for this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.