Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 15 shots in 3 hours but still nothing >

15 shots in 3 hours but still nothing

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

15 shots in 3 hours but still nothing

Old 12-16-2006, 09:53 AM

Default 15 shots in 3 hours but still nothing

I got rather disheartened this morning.

First I overslept.

Then I discovered a truck in my spot at the entrance to my family's land.

Then I discovered the owner of the truck but he was too far away to approach easily plus I'm not so keen on confronting someone holding a gun so I just began my hunt.

A little while after I got settled in I heard the truck crank up and drive off so apparently he saw me and knew he was caught.

Then I over the course of about 3 hours I hear what I counted as 15 shots, a couple were VERY close, close enough that I pulled up my gun in preparation for a deer to come barrelling around the corner in the ravine.

But now I'm on my lunch break.

That's my opening day of the final gun season of '06. How was yours?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Default RE: 15 shots in 3 hours but still nothing

That sucks. I am heading out in a few to try and get one. Our season ends Jan 1st. This will be my second outting. Will get in some good time the next couple wks.
GL everyone.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

heres an idea.. real hunters dont come in for lunch.. get your ass out there and stay out there.. you dont kill deer sittin on the computer.. maybe if you lost the guitar you could see one too..
Old 12-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Make sure you call a game warden and figure out who this poacher is next time he comes around. You get the plate number?

Anyway, today was the final day of first gun season up at my family's place in MD. I heard one shot about 500 yards away (this guy shoots [at] something every morningof gun season) 30 minutes after sunrise, and that was it for the rest of the day. Spooked a bedded deer as I turned a corner along the fenceline of the field I was hunting, and heardit or another deer snort/wheezing for a few minutes just before sunrise inside the treeline. For all the noise in the awakening woods, all I saw was a gray squirrel laughing at me a few trees over.

We all have our drab days, but hang in there. Hopefully the next time you're out you'll come home with your boots covered in blood and a big smile on your face. Metal...
Old 12-16-2006, 04:43 PM

My opening day consisted of me eating my lunch under a big cedar in a fencerow with the wind in my facewatching 2 young bucks spar about 150 yards and 5doe moving around a bit farther off.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

heres an idea.. real hunters dont come in for lunch.. get your ass out there and stay out there.. you dont kill deer sittin on the computer.. maybe if you lost the guitar you could see one too..
Kind of harsh is'nt it? Not everyone hunts the same way, and not everyone hunts all day! It can be especially hard late in the season, to stay on the stand from "can to can't!" I'd rather take a lunch break, than to start getting fidgety, and alerting deer to my presence!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:29 PM

wow, you rip the guy a new one b/c he went inside for lunch? you're pathetic.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 AM
Typical Buck

Lighten upa little fingerz42 After all this is supposed to be FUN
Old 12-17-2006, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Merlin1274

That sucks. I am heading out in a few to try and get one. Our season ends Jan 1st. This will be my second outting. Will get in some good time the next couple wks.
GL everyone.
Don't be so dagum mean... [:@]