Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever thought of this??

Old 12-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Ever thought of this??

ORIGINAL: salty

because inside every meat hunter is an unsuccessful trophy hunter that is ashamed of shooting a small buck. They then fall back on the security that they are "meat" hunters.. I know many of them..and they are slob hunters at best
so you are saying every deer you shoot is a "trophy? id like to see that

and if you are a trophy hunter.. then what do u do with the meat.. since slob hunters are the ones who only hunt for meat
Old 12-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: craigs248

That's one of the more ignorant posts I've read...
I'll second that! IGNORANT!
Besides, why would you keep something that you are ashamed of?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting thought. If someone proclaims to be purely 100% a meat hunter (which is fine btw) then why would they keep the rack if it was a buck? Sounds like such people would be contradicting themselves. I think that's the idea behind this thread.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just say what you feel Chris!I am laughing as I am typing this!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Meat hunters keeping racks is the same thing as keeping a photo. I dont know any hunters that get rid of the racks from the bucks they shoot. Its a keepsake, like a souvenir from the hunt. I see absolutely nothing wrong with calling yourself a meat hunter and keeping the racks. Im not a trophy deer, i dont have the time or opportunity to pass up any bucks smaller than 140" or w/e you consider a trophy hunter. The deer are all the same on the inside, and if they happen to have a rack of antlers, thats great, but im not gonna throw out a small rack because for some reason i think i failed by not shooting a large buck, and will never be ashamed of any animal i take.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:26 PM

im what you would classify as a meat (or slob) hunter. i may not be a good help here because i have only shot a doe. my way of hunting is that i will shoot whatever gives me the shot and i will be prouder than heck of it is whether it has antlers or not. if it does have a rack then it will go on a board for memories, and if it doesnt then i will probably tan the hide. meat hunters arent slobs, racks just arent top priority. besides you cant eat them.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

You know Salty, I am a meat hunter period. I have passed up very nice sized buck knowing that a doe I see is heading my way just because the meat is better. The first buck I shot I cut off 1 of the antlers for a keep sake and it sits on the fireplace mantle. Meat is the only reason I hunt and I will pass a big buck just so someone else can have it who would enjoy it. So don't go saying I am a "slob hunter" and can't get a trophy buck. I am from KS, now live in MO and will be moving back to KS next month, trust me I have seen and had opportunities to takemany trophy bucksand will have in the future. Their just not on my priority list right now. I don't even buy tags for bucks, the only ones I get are the anydeer tags they give everyone as thier first tag.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 PM

Well I am a meat hunter with limits I will not shoot any thing that is under 4 points most of the time this rule is off limits on gov. land or near the end of the season. I will not pass on my chances to shoot a doe. I figure if I shoot a 12 pointer the horns are just a bouns
Old 12-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

slob hunters, thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard. hunt for the sport and the fun of it. i do hunt number one , for the meat. we happen to like it. i like to kill a trophy buck too. and have killed some real nice racks, but its not the only reason i hunt. there is way to much pressure put on young hunters to only kill trophy bucks. kill what ever makes you happy.
i have about 50 sets of antlers nailed to my building wall, i can tell you where most everyone was killed to. its the memory of the hunt, i also have 8 mounted .
Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think it's necessary to re-iterate what was replied by skeeter, craigs, jimmyMo, JagMag or bhensley. Salty has said enough in his postings for me to loose what little respect he had built here.

All I can say is that there are a few things you can't take back boy - mainly bullets, arrowsand words.

It's a long road back, a long road.

Quick Reply: Ever thought of this??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.