HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   scent elimination (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/170081-scent-elimination.html)

mr ratchet 12-13-2006 06:01 PM

scent elimination

to the people seeing and getting deer how crazy do you go with scent elimination and or cover scent?
this season ive been showering with scent free hunter specialties body wash
wash clothes in same brand laundry detergent
use earth scent dryer sheets{ they realy smell like rotten leaves and dirt
scent lok head cover
i havnot seen a deer although there is sign every where.
tonight i went in woods right after work no clean up and in my work clothes,deer snuck up behind me on the same trail i walked in onhe was 20 - 30 yds away 10 minutes later another 1 suprised meand came in from my left he saw me fraction of a second before i saw him and didnot get a shot.
maybe some of the scent elimination product are made by antihunters ... ha ha

130woodman 12-13-2006 06:26 PM

RE: scent elimination

I always spray down with white lightning and have a dirt wafer on my hat. I put on my outer clothes after I get out of the truck or outside my cabin. It might not be your scent you might be in an area that has more night action.

Merlin1274 12-13-2006 06:50 PM

Personaly I havent seen a difference using them and not. But I do believe in spraying deer urine on the soles of my shoes for cover. In case on crosses my path. But if your in a stand its not much of an issue to me unless its a little windy.

timbercruiser 12-13-2006 07:07 PM

Never use any of the stuff, just hunt the wind. I saw 21 Friday afternoon.

Icedragon 12-13-2006 07:27 PM

I got fresh earth scent and it seems to work pretty good, deer dont seem to detect that.

CTJohnB 12-13-2006 08:46 PM

if your hunting with a bow deffinatly,this is my second year doing bow but 15 with a gun and I noticed a major differance.I personally keep my gear out side I Never wear my gear inside my vehicle they go into a bag of leaves for the ride and then I spray down with scent spray I use deer dander on my boots and use the scent soaps all through the season Never use any cologne durring season also I don't know if it helps but I keep a pocket full of apple jolly ranchers lets face it most of your scent comes from yourmouth that cannot be covered so Breath is a mojor deal IMO anyway that or I'll eat mapple or vanilla flavored candy and this year I have seen more deer than ever in my life and I am hunting state land with a lot of pressure, where as last year I saw 4 and didnt use much scent control other than keeping my gear out side, Now for rifle hunting where you have 50yrd shots or better play the wind it dosnt matter as much

metaldonnieg 12-13-2006 10:37 PM

Personally I don't think it necessary, just don't clean up and spray cologne like you're going on a date.

I do believe the majority of it is a gimmick. I saw some scent cover gum at my hunting store the other day. Come on...