HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Hunting is better when it is cloudy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/170037-deer-hunting-better-when-cloudy.html)

duramaxnay6 12-13-2006 02:04 PM

Deer Hunting is better when it is cloudy?

I heard from someone that apparently deer hunting is drastically better when it is cloudy/overcast. I have personally never heard this before and I have been deer hunting for a pretty good while. The person explained to me that deer don't like it when it is sunny outside because of all the shadows, and deer apparently don't like shadows, or something. I know all animals are affected in some way by barometric pressure and barometric pressure changes with the onset or post weather front. With a weather front, clouds could be part of it. I honestly have no faith in the fact that is has to do with sunlight and shadows. There are more shadows morning, evening, and night than anytime. And deer move most at those times!

Has anyone else ever had anyone tell them that or think this way?

superstrutter 12-13-2006 02:09 PM

RE: Deer Hunting is better when it is cloudy?

I don't know about that, but I see more deer on cool sunny days.

Merlin1274 12-13-2006 02:09 PM

I don't know if its relative but I think so. I noticed when I sit in the evenings I never see a Deer until the sun has gone down farenough that there is no definet Shadows.

Copper31 12-13-2006 02:20 PM

I disagree. I hunted almost every day since September 16th. I keep a journal of every hunt with conditions and there was no difference at all. I may have seen more deer on the clear crisp mornings. Just my 2cents

duramaxnay6 12-13-2006 03:14 PM

I thought it was BS also. Best mornings for me have also been cool with clear blue sky.

rocketman250r 12-13-2006 04:09 PM

Maybe mornings aren't any different. But midday and afternoons I have
always felt it I see more deer up moving around on overcast days. If it
is sunny they seem to bed down and nap. But if it is overcast can a deer
tell the difference between 2:30 and 4:30? So it seems you are more likely
to see them moving around all day on overcast days.

SouthernStrut56 12-13-2006 05:38 PM

Moon phases.

brushbustin 12-13-2006 08:25 PM

Im with rocketman,when it is overcast or cloudy i love to sit all day in the stand..It seems like you see more deer in the mid day when it is cloudy.

demoIL 12-13-2006 08:44 PM

I dunno about deer but personally I prefer to hunt when overcast.. ButI don't care for the sun much anyway. [8D]

kansasguy 12-13-2006 10:31 PM

I gotta agree with rocketman and brushbustin. They have perfectly stated my opinion.
As far as deer being afraid of shadows...i gotta call BS