Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting With Slugs Help!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Hunting With Slugs Help!

I have a Rem 870 Express. It does not have a rifled bore.
I would like to try some slugs.
Do I need a rifled barrell? I know the make rifled slugs. If they work what Choke do I need in it to properly and accuritly fire them?
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting With Slugs Help!

You can shoot any type of slugs through a smooth bore. If you buy the expensive sabots, they shoot better through a rifled barrel but you don't need one. It depends on how far of a shot you want to take. If you only want to shoot 50 yards I would shoot the 2 3/4 hollow points. If you want a little farther just use the 3 inch slugs. The 2 3/4 drop a lot after 50 yards. If you have the money get a rifled barrel and you can shoot a lot farther with sabots. But it depends on what distance you feel comfortable shooting.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 AM

Remington makesthe Buckhammer slug which is designed to be shot out of a rifled choke tube. Remington makes the rifled choke tube and they sell for around $30.00. Try this, it may work.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same rig as you. First of all, you need a sighting system. Do you have a scope or rifle sites on your gun? Precise aiming makes a BIG difference. If you want to stick with your smooth bore just buy the less expensive "Foster" style rifled slugs that most every ammo maker has. My gun likes the Winchester brand the best but yours may be different. I confidently shoot out to 75 yards with no problems. 3" slugs offer no advantage other than pounding your shoulder and wallet a lot more than 2.75". Use the most open choke that you have...probably improved cylinder unless you happen to have a skeet tube. If you go with the rifled bbl you will need to buy the MUCH more expensive sabot type slugs. I don't have this type of rig so I will not comment on whether it would be an advantage for you or not. One important question is how far do you expect to shoot?
HTHs and good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM

If you can get a rifled barrel. If not, use regular slugs but don't shoot over 50 yards.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM

I have a Remington 1100 autoloader, and It is in 2 3/4 full choke smooth bore. Its a fowl gun, but it will shoot slugs no problem, but they DO drop alot after 50yds or so, but how far are you wanting the slugs to reach? Your gonna use them for deer I assume.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM

I will like to shoot about 50 yards max. Want to get me a few stands in the woods. So that would be a good range. Would a Scope at that range be better then rifle sights. And where can I get rifle sights. or If I put a scope mount on it would one the Red Dot sights be better?
Also the Choke. Do I need the full Choke in the shoot the Slugs?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Improved cylinder or Skeet choke! Full choke is for shot shells, not slugs.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 AM

http://www.gunaccessories.com/HiViz/shotgun.asp

I like the sights better than a scoped shotgun...Its a preference thing. You dont NEED to use a choke with a slug...The 870 is chambered in 3" is'nt it? I cant remember.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:32 AM

YEs Its chambered for 3 in. Also I noticed slugs come in differnce ounces. What a good practical for Deer at 50 yards?

Quick Reply: Hunting With Slugs Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.