HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   should I hunt in the morning? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/169778-should-i-hunt-morning.html)

silverock 12-12-2006 07:47 AM

should I hunt in the morning?

Yes I know I can't see anything if I am not in the woods. But I was planning on taking a half day in the morning Wed. December 13. Would I be better off taking it another day. With the weather 20 degrees warmer than it was over the weekend and the rain coming through tonight would I better served taking the morning another day? Don't get me wrong Id rather be in a tree and not see anything than at my desk. But I haven't seen any deer since bow season and the past few days it seems that the reports from my club members are saying the deer are starting to get a little frisky.(I am in Alabama) But do you think the warm up will shut them down again. Thanks for the advise.[/align]

Red Lion 12-12-2006 08:02 AM

RE: should I hunt in the morning?

I am of the mind that any day/time/opportunity that you can get to go hunting, then you take it. I know that conditions can vary from great to very poor, but I believe that opportunities can come up any time and under any conditions, but you have to be out.

BKA 12-12-2006 08:10 AM

From my experience when a weather front is moving in they will be up moving around and taking care of business. I would be out in the woods right now if I could be even if it is warm. I would rather it be cold but hey.... you cant change the weather only when you are in the woods!

tn hunter 12-12-2006 08:15 AM

i gotta agree with bta. if the front is not going to be in till the evening then you should be there in the morning. i have always seen more deer movement before a front. dont let the temp bother you. deer want to mate if its still in the rut in your area and they always got to move to a feeding area.

silverock 12-12-2006 08:36 AM

The front is moving in tonight. (sorry I was not clear on that) According to weather.com at 6 a.m. tomorrow the rain will be moved out. So I guess the question remains will they move? I guess that will always be the question.lol

tn hunter 12-12-2006 08:42 AM

trying to guess the weather always sucks. if you knew for sure it would be gone by the time you should be in the tree than i would hunt. but lets just say the front slowed down. it would be raining on you all morning. not good. i dont know if i would take the chance. id prob take the half day when i was pretty sure what the weather was going to be

halvtaz 12-12-2006 08:56 AM

I'd have to agree with Red Lion because you never know what will happen once you get into the woods. If it is raining a little bit that is a good time to be out there because the deer will move some because the noise factor will be in their favor and plus they will not be able to hear if anything is coming their way when they are bedded down.

NEW61375 12-12-2006 09:03 AM

If you have a 10 day forecast and there is somewhere in there another front comes through(preferably cold) or the temp drops back downthen I might wait and use the day then. I have the same problem with limited days off so I like to pick the days that look the best as far as weather(wind, temp, cloudy/overcast,a high moon in the morning, etc.) Look at all of those things, apply them to the particular area/stand you want to hunt and pick what looks best. I know how hard it is when you want to go really bad but I am a firm believer in hunting smarter not harder, maximize your oppurtunities by getting as many things in your favor as possible and then hope for a little "hunter luck" too. But as the others have said the temp is not going to shut them down unless it is reallywarm, if it is still reasonably cool and the front is aroundyou just might catch something moving, I'd say in this situation just watch your wind and remember that rain really bothers us a lot more thanthe deer, theylive in the elements all the time and have a much higher "comfort tolerance" than we do. I have caught many a deer moving during rain ecspecially between periods of heavy rain, it all depends on what you are willing to put up with.

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

craigbc 12-12-2006 06:00 PM

Take anytime you can...a bad day hunting is better than a good day almost anywhere.

CamoCop 12-12-2006 07:40 PM

i've always had greater success in the morning