Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Houses

Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Houses

I'm thinking of constructing a shooting house/blind to be put up at my grandparents place. It would be in a spot where the deer have a tendency to cross throughout the day. I have an idea on what I want to do. I'd like to construct the sides of it, then when it gets time to put it up I could slap the sides up and put it all together easier. How many of you have built these? What are the materials you used? I would like to find plastic something are other to keep it low maintenance, but I'm fearing it is gonna have to be made of wood. What do you do for the windows to keep the snow out, but to allow them to be removeable or openable? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Default RE: Shooting Houses

Use 2 x 4s for the frame and plywood for the walls, that would be the cheapest. I am assuming that you want to contrust something like a duck blind??? If you are going to use plywood to cover up the sides make sure you give it a very thick coat of outdoor paint/finish otherwise the layers of wood will peel apart with the moisture.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You definitely have the right idea with building the walls then pulling them up into place, that's really easy if you've got another person or two to help you. My dad and I have built two in the past year and are in the process of building a third one, and it's definitely a "learn as you go" deal. You definitely need to use treated wood if you want it to last for years. On our first one we made the walls out of half inch plywood and put pre-fabricated siding panels around it, and on the second one we didn't put the siding up, all you need is plywood for the walls. Anyways I guess I could email you a rough idea of the plans we used to give you an idea of how you can do yours. It's too much to say on this thing, so if you want send me your email on here and I'llsend you everything I know about it and maybe it'll help.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Use metal roof materials (aluminum) and be sure it extends at least a foot from the sides. The wood materials will last longer.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 AM

make sure you use a no-noise window.[:@]