Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

to cold to hunt

Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: to cold to hunt

For me, it used to not be a factor, but now with diabetes causeing my toes and fingers issues, it is. For me I can hunt down to 5F pretty easy with no wind if I am prepared.

Its the wind that kills me. For example I hunted wed when it was 20F out and was fine. But there was no wind, but I hunted a few days before in 38F with 10MPH wind, and I was miserable.

Alot of folks on here talk a big talk, but you guys must be the rare few, cause when it gets below 15F, I don't see another hunter in the woods hardly.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For me, it used to not be a factor, but now with diabetes causeing my toes and fingers issues, it is. For me I can hunt down to 5F pretty easy with no wind if I am prepared.

Its the wind that kills me. For example I hunted wed when it was 20F out and was fine. But there was no wind, but I hunted a few days before in 38F with 10MPH wind, and I was miserable.

Alot of folks on here talk a big talk, but you guys must be the rare few, cause when it gets below 15F, I don't see another hunter in the woods hardly.
I grew up hunting in cold weather when I was a child, every opening day of rifle in the Upper penninsula of michigan it usually got to be around 10-15 degrees so im used to it now, until I picked up bowhunting and now im spolied with 30s-50s weather at the start of the season!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a juvenile diabetic, so I definitely have to watch out for circulatory problems like frostbite. If I lose part of my foot, I doubt I'll be any better of a hunter. The coldest weather I've hunted in was 20°F, with a light wind. I bundled up with plenty of layers (and toe warmers), and the only problem I had was that my left middle finger went numb halfway into the hunt. I flipped off the deer that were still hiding in the treeline for a few minutes and it started to warm back up.

I don't think any weather's too cold as long as you're dressed properly and can still move about easily.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Ive hunted in Quebec with -30 degree temps and -60 degree windchills, I can pretty much hunt naked here in michigan after my Quebec trip!

I bet!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:06 PM

The deer will come out when its colder
Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 PM

When it get's too cold to hunt, I will be in the ground.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well when you live in The Great White North eh, you gotta be able to hunt when it's chilly whilly outside [8D]
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple years ago the windchill stayed around -15 to -30 for most of the late muzzleloader season.I hunted through most of it and shot a buck on one of the coldest days.The deer had the same idea I did and were sticking to sheltered areas where the wind wasnt as big of issue.I hunted for over a week without running into another hunter.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I think my coldest day in the treestand was a balmy -25. We`re great believers in the layered look around here. Now that deer season is over, we start bagging Jacks, coyotes, and other varmints in January when the real cold sets in.
Like KonaBoy says...ya gotta hunt those chilly days.

Ron
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't let it stop me, but I do have to climb down to warm up once in a while, a short walk does wonders. At the farm I hunt most I have a few permanent stands up (wooden pallets), when I just can't take it anymore I will climb down and walk to another stand, by the time I've climbed into the new stand I'm ready for a few more hours of being still.

Quick Reply: to cold to hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.