HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I think I did the right thing. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/169355-i-think-i-did-right-thing.html)

HunterKel 12-09-2006 10:03 PM

I think I did the right thing.

I went hunting the other day and at round5 I heard rustling in the woods next to my stand (where I hunt there's thick woods on either side of a field. My stand is in a corner facing the field). I waited and listened. 5:30 rolled around and it gets pretty dark. As I was about to get down a doe came out from where I heard the rustling. She was a good few feet in front of my stand. I put the scope on her as she was nibbling on some beans. All I could see was her outline. I decided not to take the shot because I couldn't see the vital area that good and I didn't want to risk wounding her. If I did, there would be no way I could find her after dark in the woods. I quietly got out of the stand with her still standing in the field. I figured if I was calm and didn't fire she'd feel comfortable coming out sooner in the daylight.
People made fun and said I've should've taken the shot. But I think I did the right thing. What do ya'll think?

bhensley 12-09-2006 10:13 PM

RE: I think I did the right thing.

Good job, although it would be tempting you did the right thing. Just get back out there tomorrow.

North Texan 12-09-2006 10:29 PM

They can rib you all they want, but whether you take the shot or not, it is your call to make, not theirs. Only you can decide what shots you can make and what shots you are comfortable taking. And it is your responsibility to knowyour limitations. If you don't think you can make a clean kill, then you don't need to take the shot. If there's any doubt, better safe than sorry. There's always next time.

yakuza wiz 12-09-2006 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bhensley

Good job, although it would be tempting you did the right thing. Just get back out there tomorrow.
or monday...NC is a blue law no sunday hunting state.

CamoCop 12-10-2006 05:40 AM

ORIGINAL: yakuza wiz

ORIGINAL: bhensley

or monday...NC is a blue law no sunday hunting state.
that blows! if you are like every other american who has to work a full time job to survive, you only have one day a week to hunt.

db2573 12-10-2006 06:25 AM

You made the right choice.

erope 12-10-2006 09:50 AM

What time did shooting time close that day? Would it have been legal to shoot?

davidmor 12-10-2006 10:41 AM

You absolutely did the right thing. I have passed on a lot of deer over the years that I just didn't feel comfortable with the shot. Sometimes I just get this 'gut' feel that the shot isn't right and I put the gun down. I always go with that gut feel when I get it. I would much rather let a deer walk, than injure one and not be able to find it, or have it suffer because I ignored my instincts. Also, 5:30? When is legal shooting over in NC? In NY, 5:30 is almost an hour past legal shooting hours.

HunterKel 12-10-2006 11:47 AM

In NC you can shoot 30 min. after sunset. There has been some debate on making it legal to hunt on Sundays here.

deergrower 12-10-2006 12:07 PM

You did a great job on not taking the shot. If you had wounded the deer there be no way for you to find it and with not shooting, she will be back and maybe she will bring her boyfriend with her..... So I say SUPER Job!!!!!
But not being able to hunt on Sunday has to BITE big time!!!!!

firegoon 12-10-2006 12:14 PM

Good job and great ethics! Your patience will pay off and your enjoyment of the hunt will be a much better experience.[:@]

HunterKel 12-10-2006 02:23 PM

My schedule is pretty good, I can hunt almost everyday. I manged to get my college classes in the morning and the rest online so I could hunt this year;)

Youth deer hunter 12-10-2006 02:50 PM

here in maine you can hunt half hour after sunset but you cant hunt on sunday[:@]

uncle matt 12-10-2006 05:29 PM

Kel you don't need anyone else's opinion as to whether you did the "right thing" in this situation you describe. Plain and simple.

If you are not comfortable with any shot and you decide not to take it, it is your decision and your's alone, for whatever reason or reasons you use to make your decision..

Now that you know that certain people are going to give you flak over things like this you have learned something. Simply don't share information such as this in the future.

I don't know how old you are. I sense you are still a little young. But regardless I admire you for having the good sense to stick to your gut feeling. Don't let other people's choices affect yours.

You can throw the hunting out the window on this one. You have the good sense (feeling) and by listening tothese feelings will lead you in the right direction in many aspects of life.

;)

HunterKel 12-10-2006 06:31 PM

Thank you Uncle Matt!

Aught Six 12-10-2006 07:39 PM

You absolutely did the right thing, and that's regardless of whatever anyone else with weaker ethics has to say about it. You have a good heart and are a fair hunter, the kindwe need to see more of.

My past two hunts have ended with a half dozen or more does stepping into my field of fire about 30 seconds before the end of shooting light. I cranked the scope up, scanned every deer I couldtrying to make head from tail, and kept going until the very last second. Ihad an almost sick feeling in my stomach from a lack of confidence in the shot, and I really was not in the mood to wound adeer and spend half the night pushing it deeper into the woods as I tracked after it with a dinky flashlight.

Sometimes, like Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations..."

pm69442 12-10-2006 08:12 PM

You absolutely did the right thing. Case in point is the ehtical choice of doing the right thing even when no one is looking! This is what we, as ethical sportsmen, expect others to do to further the positive attitudes and aspects of what we do, how we are, as a direct example because of how we act.
Two weeks ago while on a specific doe/spike hunt, close to near dark I watched 4 'deer' feed and make their way to my stand. By the time they were within shooting range, it was so dark I couldn't tell which were yearling does to older does......ultimately they all walked.........
Ethics----its doing the right thing even when no one is watching.

woody7 12-10-2006 08:37 PM

You were not comfortable with the shot and you did the right thing. Don't listen to anybody but that voice in your head. It's there tohelp you make tough calls. Good job on showing restraint.

goyard74 12-10-2006 09:12 PM

sounds too me like you did the right thing

StealthHtr22 12-11-2006 07:24 PM

Probably don't need to say it but...you did the right thing.

hldeerhunter 12-12-2006 07:15 AM

You did the right thing. If you are not sure of the shot then don't take it. I have never done that with a rifle, but I have done that with a bow. Had a doe about 10 yards from me and I decided not to shoot because of low light. I figured that tomorrow is another day.

HunterKel 12-12-2006 08:55 AM

I appreciate the support I'm getting! The doe is still hanging around. I've seen tracks and she's (and hopefully her date)eating the corn I put out.

;);)

BKA 12-12-2006 09:34 AM

Like all of the others have said you did do the right and proper thing. I have this little saying that has been used by the snipers in the us military for a long long long time.... "One Shot... One Kill". If I do not feel that I can make that one shot count I will not take it. It's a simple respect for the game you are taking make it your life duty to do the absolute best to harvest any of the animals that you choose to take it with the best, quickest way you can. Respect the animals and do your best to make the right decisions. You might decide to pass on a deer and then later beat yourself up over it but no matter what someone else thinks keep the pride of ethics and respect for the animals you will be a better person for it!