HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   I think I did the right thing. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/169355-i-think-i-did-right-thing.html)

HunterKel 12-09-2006 10:03 PM

I think I did the right thing.

I went hunting the other day and at round5 I heard rustling in the woods next to my stand (where I hunt there's thick woods on either side of a field. My stand is in a corner facing the field). I waited and listened. 5:30 rolled around and it gets pretty dark. As I was about to get down a doe came out from where I heard the rustling. She was a good few feet in front of my stand. I put the scope on her as she was nibbling on some beans. All I could see was her outline. I decided not to take the shot because I couldn't see the vital area that good and I didn't want to risk wounding her. If I did, there would be no way I could find her after dark in the woods. I quietly got out of the stand with her still standing in the field. I figured if I was calm and didn't fire she'd feel comfortable coming out sooner in the daylight.
People made fun and said I've should've taken the shot. But I think I did the right thing. What do ya'll think?

bhensley 12-09-2006 10:13 PM

RE: I think I did the right thing.

Good job, although it would be tempting you did the right thing. Just get back out there tomorrow.

North Texan 12-09-2006 10:29 PM

They can rib you all they want, but whether you take the shot or not, it is your call to make, not theirs. Only you can decide what shots you can make and what shots you are comfortable taking. And it is your responsibility to knowyour limitations. If you don't think you can make a clean kill, then you don't need to take the shot. If there's any doubt, better safe than sorry. There's always next time.

yakuza wiz 12-09-2006 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bhensley

Good job, although it would be tempting you did the right thing. Just get back out there tomorrow.
or monday...NC is a blue law no sunday hunting state.

CamoCop 12-10-2006 05:40 AM

ORIGINAL: yakuza wiz

ORIGINAL: bhensley

or monday...NC is a blue law no sunday hunting state.
that blows! if you are like every other american who has to work a full time job to survive, you only have one day a week to hunt.

db2573 12-10-2006 06:25 AM

You made the right choice.

erope 12-10-2006 09:50 AM

What time did shooting time close that day? Would it have been legal to shoot?

davidmor 12-10-2006 10:41 AM

You absolutely did the right thing. I have passed on a lot of deer over the years that I just didn't feel comfortable with the shot. Sometimes I just get this 'gut' feel that the shot isn't right and I put the gun down. I always go with that gut feel when I get it. I would much rather let a deer walk, than injure one and not be able to find it, or have it suffer because I ignored my instincts. Also, 5:30? When is legal shooting over in NC? In NY, 5:30 is almost an hour past legal shooting hours.

HunterKel 12-10-2006 11:47 AM

In NC you can shoot 30 min. after sunset. There has been some debate on making it legal to hunt on Sundays here.

deergrower 12-10-2006 12:07 PM

You did a great job on not taking the shot. If you had wounded the deer there be no way for you to find it and with not shooting, she will be back and maybe she will bring her boyfriend with her..... So I say SUPER Job!!!!!
But not being able to hunt on Sunday has to BITE big time!!!!!