Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license??? >

Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license???

Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license???

How old were you when this happened? Where you a minor? If you were it shouldn't matter anymore if you are an adult now. If you are still a minor I am not sure what will happen.

I believe mainly they are looking for felonies or domestic voilence charges. I don't live in NY though so I couldn't say. The easiest thing to do would be to talk to a local gun store and see what they say. Or just fill out the paper work and see what happens.

When you fill out the paper work just wright what happened and what the outcome was, you don't need to give them any opinions or smart alleck comments. All they care about are the facts, what you were charged with and what the outcome was. I doubt they are interested in whether you "think" you deserved it or not.

Let us know what happens.

Paul
Old 12-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license???

I looked at his profile and it says he was born in 1977. The incident happened in 1995, so he would have been about 18. I would have thought if he was about 8 it wouldn't be a problem, but 18, I don't know.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:14 PM

LOL... I am hoping that with the crime rate in NYC my BB gun incident will look like child's play.

ORIGINAL: C. Davis

Man! I bet with such strict gun laws in NYC you have almost zero gun crime. How do they get the inner city gangsters to apply?

C. Davis
Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 PM

I was 18 when this happened, 11 years ago.

ORIGINAL: isatarak

I looked at his profile and it says he was born in 1977. The incident happened in 1995, so he would have been about 18. I would have thought if he was about 8 it wouldn't be a problem, but 18, I don't know.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:21 PM

I found this on the NRA page regarding NYC longarms . I was never convicted of the charge, but look at #6, they only need "just cause".

The following persons may not obtain a permit to possess a rifle or shotgun:

1. Persons under 18

2 . Convicted felons or those convicted of certain misdemeanors unless a certificate of good conduct has been obtained.

3. Persons not of good moral character.

4. Persons who have suffered any mental illness or been confined to any hospital or institution, public or private, for mental illness.

5. Persons not now free from any mental disorders, defects or diseases that would impair the ability to safely posses or use a rifle or shotgun.

6. Persons for which just cause exists for the denial of the permit.

No later than 30 days from the submission of the application, unless the police commissioner determines more time is needed for an investigation and then it shall not exceed 60 days, the Commissioner shall issue the permit or shall notify the applicant of the denial of the application and the reason or reasons.

If an application for a permit is denied, the applicant can submit an appeal to the Police Department's License Division. A further appeal can be submitted to the Commanding Officer of the License Division.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

give it a shot, all they can say is "no"
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM

That is exactly what I will do. We'll see... and I will let you guys know, however it takes forever for them to process the application -- 3 - 4 months.

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

give it a shot, all they can say is "no"
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM

gotta love NY's gun laws! i still have yet to apply for my pistol permit. it takes 6 months for that on long island. i would definately not keep anything hidden from them b/c they will find it.

another thing you might want to try is just go to a gun store on long island or somewhere else outside the city, and get a gun. i've heard of ppl from the city doing that. if u leave it w/someone outside of the city i dont think that is illegal. then u can take it for hunting season.

if all else fails, just do archery. its better anyway
Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would move. (Honest, I already have! So did my sister, brother-in-law, and countless friends I know).

Contrast, I'm not sayingnothing bad or anything stupid. But trust me man.... GET OUT OF NYC!!!
Get outwhile the gettin' is good!

I grew up a little upstate from you (I'm originally from Poughkeepsie), and haven't been "home" in years and years. My sister and brother-in-law saw the writing on the wall too and got out. They took an early retirement/buyout from IBM and left NY and moved downhere to Virginia.

Virginia (and a bunch of other states) have fantastic gun laws. You want a shotgun? Cool... no big deal. No ridiculous "anti-gun red tape" and junk like that. Sure, they do the background check, but, you can pretty much do whatever you want and own as many as you want. Want to buy a handgun? Again, it's no big deal down here.

Butch A.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to change the subject, but I would look into getting an in-line muzzle loader.

You stated no permit is needed for them.

An in-line would be alot more accurate than a slug gun, once you found an accurate load. They also have less recoil. They also can reach out a little farther.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes, I'd be hunting with my TC Omega and not worrying about that permit.

Quick Reply: Please give me your opinion on this -- Will I get my shotgun license???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.