Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Newb in IL

Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Newb in IL

I grew up in a household without firearms in Los Angeles and later Chicago. Not being one who enjoyed the hustle/bustle of big city life, I moved to central Illinois after college.

People would often bring deer sausage into work in the fall. I love the stuff! My neighbor across the street generally harvests 2-3 deer a year (he has permission to hunt on a large tract of private land), and often gives me some of the meat as he has so much. I'm hooked, and I want more.

I have a Remington 870 that I use for trap/skeet, and it came with a rifled slug barrel. I'd like to give deer hunting a try, but I have no idea where to start. I've read everything I can on the state's DNR website, but I'm in no way certain that I fully understand everything (and am reluctant to go out and make a mistake before I do).

I thought the best thing to do would be to try to find someone to tag along with. But in the absense of that happening (I have no close friends that hunt, and am reluctant to invite myself along with acquaintances), I wonder what else I might do? I'm extremely patient. I'd like to go out next fall, but if it doesn't happen for 2-3 years, I won't mind.

What are some other resources I can check out?

Can someone give me an overview of how things that work in Illinois?

Thank you for your help!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Newb in IL

Welcome to the site.How about talking to your neighbor and seeing if you could go with him next time he goes out? Even if you go just to watch and be out there, that would help you geta feel for how it is done. Another thing is to just hang out here on this website, you'll learn alot here. Most of the stuff I know I learned here in the last year. I am 26 and have hunted for years but learned on my own by just grabbing a gun and walking to the woods. I never had full camo, used any calls, stands, blinds or anything. Once I was got on this site I learned alot about the equipment, hunting techniquesand what not and it makes hunting alot easier. There are quit a few people on here from Illinios also so they will be able to help you as far as your local questions. Good luck and just post all the questions you have, they are alot of people on here with good advice, we'll get you in the woods! Have fun.
Brandon
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the response Brandon! I was down your way for Thanksgiving. (My wife's grandparents live in Mountain Home, AR.)

My neighbor across the street hunts on the land around the nuclear power plant he works at--he's not allowed to bring guests.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: legion

Thank you for the response Brandon! I was down your way for Thanksgiving. (My wife's grandparents live in Mountain Home, AR.)

My neighbor across the street hunts on the land around the nuclear power plant he works at--he's not allowed to bring guests.
Your Grandparent's live in Mountain Home? I live in Springdale, if that makes any difference.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

Your Grandparent's live in Mountain Home? I live in Springdale, if that makes any difference.
It's a beautiful part of the country...
Old 12-07-2006, 10:01 PM

Welcome to the forum,, and to the joy of hunting. Theres lots here to read and learn, and you can pick up some fantastic advice. Keep trying to learn all you can, and practice with your gun till your confident in your shooting. you will meet someone here or somewhere who will let you tag along and watch or hunt with them, and help you out all they can. Hekc if you were closer, you could come here, I dont know how much I could help you, but Id show ya what I know. Good luck to ya, and try to get out and enjoy it, youll be hooked.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Any Illinois hunters care to chime in?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Spike

Nuclear Plant? I take it your in Byron. Maybe?

Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 PM

Maybe near Clinton? I'm in Champaign. I'd love to help you but I only bow hunt. If you pick up a bow, I'd be glad to offer some assistance...no private land but I'd still welcome another hunter to pal around with!

Mark
Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, I'm in Bloomington. The plant is in Clinton. I'm about 80 miles south of Byron.

Quick Reply: Newb in IL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.