Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Ohio Doe!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Big Ohio Doe!!!

November 19th I got out into the field at about 5:30am and set up in the middle of a feild where i saw a big buck the day before. I sat out there waiting for the sun to come up over the horizon. I actually started more toward the woods but then move further into the field. once the sun came up i heard the big ole boy gruntin in the corn field. ( i was in a briar patch beside the corn field) I tried calling back but he wasnt to interested and didnt show up. At about 8:15 am 4 does came out of the field and i though i might as well get one now so i was looking to try to figure out which one looked the biggest. I found her and she still looked pretty small but what doesent at 150 yards. lol... anyway i put the sights of my Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Gauge on her shoulder and boom... i missed, reload boom.... missed again. by this time i was agitated and stood up...... boom missed again... one more time boom missed again! on my last shot i was sure i would miss this to. Then BOOM!!!! she dropped where she stood. the others just stood there looking at me until i started walking toward her. Man they look small from far away but when you get up to them the look alot bigger. she weighed about 185ibs. it got me going!!!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Big Ohio Doe!!!

185?!?!?!?
was it a mule?
is someone on a neer by farm missing a calf?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 PM

Was that gutted or live weight?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

i had one in Pa a few years back that dressed at 180 lbs. Thats gonna be a nice bit in the freezer, huh?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Spike

Big doe congrates, but I think you need to go back to the range? That seems like a far shot to me for an accurate shot with a shotgun? But maybe you are comfortable at that range?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 PM

that post got me going... congrats on killing it.. but 5 shots before you get it... that far with a shotgun is realllly unethical, you should have stopped shooting after your third shot, went to the range practiced at a closer range.. and then went back out and next time you saw a doe, waited until it got to within your comfort range...

because apparently... your range isnt 150 yards...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:17 AM

The first time in my life I can say, congrats on the big girl!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't mean to bust your chops, especially since you are new here, but it was just a lucky shot. Good luck for you, bad luck for the stupid deer. Now go practice and learn where your gun shoots. When you determine how far you can hit a paper plate 4 out of 5 times you will know your effective range. Don't shoot beyond that range and you will start making one shot kills.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ibet you meant to say you were"reloading" your trusty 870 after the first 3 shots since in OHIO shotguns have to be plugged during deer season
Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 AM

im with ^

Quick Reply: Big Ohio Doe!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.