Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tough decision as a land owner..... >

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Wow, I cant beleive some of the responses you got Jeff.

To me, it bolis down to a few simple facts:

1 It's your property to manage as you see fit.

2 Your "family" abused a PRIVILEGE. THEY violated the family relationship, not you.

3 After you reminded them of your wishes, something you shouldn't have had to do, they dumped on the relationship again.

IMHO, a family member that screws you over is worse than someone from outside doing it. They should haveshown MORE respect for your wishes than someone else would because you are family. As far as I'm concerned, it's twice as bad as if a buddy did this and you should not feel the least bit guilty for banishing them forever.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I can't imagine had he left it just to my father or even to me thatwe would say that the others must now follow our rules or leave and I know had my uncle inherited it all he would never say anything like that.

Where I come from familymeans a lot and those relationships should be protected and supported (even if it means everyone swallowingtheir pride and trying to hash outthe differences). I could never imaginejust throwing away"forever" relationships with family over something as petty as the things you mentioned.
NEW,
Before you shoot off at the mouth about how much I respect my family, I'll have you know that that side of the family doesn't come around much. Not holidays, not parties, just deer season. The rest of the family is there, it is their choice not to show up. Secondly, my pap never hunted all but maybe once or twice his entire life so he could really care less about who was hunting his property. Thirdly I got that farm because out of everyone, who do you think it was that was there everyday to help him feed the cows?? bale hay?? mow the fields?? fix buildings?? I inherited the farm because I was there to help whether i liked it or not, and i DESERVED it. While the rest of the family was home watching the Steelers play football and having a picnic, I was at the farm on a tractor. So I suggest you shut your face and watch what the hell you say before it comes out of your mouth.

No need for any replies guys. Thanks for your support. I consider this topic closed, what's done is done. They made a big mistake by telling me off like they did, and unfortunately I can't change that. I would never do such a thing to a member of my family.
QUOTE NEW61375 (sorry messed up the quote box)
Wow,

Is this your dad's brother and his son?
How long have you all been hunting together?
How close are you guys as far as other aspects of life?
What kind of "rules have been in place in the past? How have you guys hunted it before?
Did your granddad hunt and what kind of rules did he have in place if any?
How old are you?(just curious)
Have you guys all ever sat down(before all of this)and talked about goals for the property?

I only ask these things because despite what is being said family is vey important and many of these questions are important.

Also I am in an almost identical situation except for the fact that my grandfather left the farm to my dad and his brother 50/50. I can't imagine had he left it just to my father or even to me thatwe would say that the others must now follow our rules or leave and I know had my uncle inherited it all he would never say anything like that. But we are a hunting family and have hunted together for years(with sometimes differing views) andwe allknow that the land is there because my grandfather wanted us (all of us) to have a place to go, to call our own despite whose name it was left in. This is definitely not a situation to be handledthrough a phone call or a text message and I can't even believe there is talk of the police.Where I come from familymeans a lot and those relationships should be protected and supported (even if it means everyone swallowingtheir pride and trying to hash outthe differences). I could never imaginejust throwing away"forever" relationships with family over something as petty as the things you mentioned. Maybe you guys should rent the movie "NEXT of KIN", cook up some food, and try to work this thing out.I AM MY BROTHERS KEEPER!!
Just my .02 QUOTE NEW61375

JHALFWIT,

Allow me to retort:

I included my whole post so it wouldn't be taken out of context.
Your response to me says a lot about you little fella. You are about as mature as my 5 year old. I never attacked you in any way I asked some simple questions in order to gain a little more insight to your situation and mentioned respecting family as it related to my situation and how I feel about my family(distant or not). I didn't say youdon't respect yourfamily and only asked those questions to forma better opinion for how a situation like that could be handled, not to belittle you. I simply felt more info was necessary to come up with a more thorough understanding of the parties involvedand abetter opinion.I guess I could have been like "Boot them off" and you would have felt better because everyone agreed with you and I don't necessarily think you would be completely wrong with that approach I justwanted detailssince situations involving family are usuallynot very cut and dry. If they were messing up and you all sat down together maybe they would understand what you were trying to do andsomething could have been worked out. But alsoif after sitting downtogether you guys couldn't see eye to eye I would think do what you have to do butIMO as family you should have given theman oppurtunitybefore the season and beforeeverything turned ugly(not that that was all your fault).

But enough about that as you probably won't even read the whole thing before you start blabbering away telling people to shut their face and don't "shoot their mouth off" and "watch what the hell you say". I didn't realize I was dealing with an internet tough guy, please don't hurt me. You are what 20or 21, that is about what I figured.The way you flipped outon here says everything,Oh Mighty Landowner. If you post a topic and want opinions don't be surprised if people ask questions and don't be surprised if some may not agree with you fully. But if this type of situation happens again in the futureon these forums you should respond like a4 year old a throw a tantrum again, it's quite amusing.

As far as your family hunting "your land",you should kick them off, you willbe doing them a favor. I alwaysheard people in WV were"really close" with family(you know what I'm talking about)butmaybenot (wonder where all those jokes came from??). Post some pictures of the monster bucks you kill with your"management program", I hope they are worth itandI hopethis whole situation doesn't cost you any dates at the next family reunion!!

Through in some WV jokes for you since you wanted tostart cussing me, I hope you don't break your keyboard cussing me out again tough guy.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Guys I didn't post this to be ridiculed about my wildlife management decisions. My area is heavily hunted, and I dont want any does or button bucks shot that dont need to be. That's the way it's always going to be for me, so if you're going to post and complain about that, then please don't bother.
I agree. It's entirely up to you to take whatever you see fit to take off your land. There is nobody here that can advise you on how to manage the deer in your neck of the woods. I found that whole aspect of this thread pretty funny. How does anyone else know what your buck to doe ratio is?[:-]

Anyway as far as the topic.......... the second they poached a deer (family or not) they would be gone off my land. JMO
Old 12-11-2006, 03:46 PM

NEW,
As much as you would like it buddy, I'm not wasting anymore breath or keystrokes on you.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the useful responses. They'll always be family members, and in other aspects of life they will be treated that way. But come hunting season, they won't be allowed on the property. Not only did they go against my wishes, but they broke the law as well. To me, that's enough right there.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you heard about this from another source, discuss this with your parents and see how they feel about the situation. Depending on their response to your Uncles' actions, will help you decide how to handle the situation, but before reading them the riot act, call the uncle and inform him that you have been told they are taking slickheads (plural) off the property and since you had discussed with him that ONE could be taken off, you wanted to talk directly with him to see if the story is true. This will give him the chance to take the high road. If he admits it, listen to his reasoning and make an informed decision. As far as the cousin goes, he has totally disrespected you and your wishes. Explain to him in no uncertain terms that he is not welcome back on the farm.

Just remember whatever decision you make, it could be a decision you will have to live with the rest of your life.

I personally would not have a problem with them taking a few does for herd management, but I do not know how much property you have or how many deer you have roaming about.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Family will get you sooner than a stranger.

Just a question (might have already been answered) what is the reason behind the "no does"? I apologize if this has already been answered.
The taken of the button bucks by 'experienced' hunters is a big no no, especially sinced they were informed in advanced not to do so.

I'd kick em off the land.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

jhalfhill - before I give you my opinion let me first ask is it possible there is some miscommunication going on here? I mean, you heard from abuddy that they shot deer on your place, then you left a bold voice message, then they texted you back. If you never talk with them, is there any chance that they do have antlerless tags this year? Is there any chance they might have poached them elsewhere in PA then told their butcher - your buddy - they got them on your land?

Sounds like to me there should have been some man to man conversation to get things straight.

That being said, family is family but you still have to look out for yourself first of all. If you feel in your gut that you did the right thing by kicking them off you probably did. It is your property, they need to respect you and if you feel you did the right thing then you can't doubt yourself. I had the same situation a few years ago, but witha friend (ex-friend now) not family. I booted him for shooting two button bucks after clearly telling him he could shoot matureanimals - 2.5 years and older. I do not regret that one bit.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:47 PM

Tell them that they shouldnt be shooting them. I would have told them that they are not welcome back after the first deer because you should not let them get away with such actions when you have already laid down the rules.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

NEW,
As much as you would like it buddy, I'm not wasting anymore breath or keystrokes on you.

Everyone else,
Thanks for the useful responses. They'll always be family members, and in other aspects of life they will be treated that way. But come hunting season, they won't be allowed on the property. Not only did they go against my wishes, but they broke the law as well. To me, that's enough right there.
Actually I like it better this way too, we obviously have "communication Issues" of our own.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM

From someone who is very family oriented let me tell you what I do. When someone hunts at my place (usually always family) I tell them...no fawns and especially no button bucks. I let them know from the start that if they break that rule they will never hunt on my place again...no exceptions. It's kinda tough, and your family may not like it or you, but it's your place, your rules. Everyone that hunts there should respect your rules and your land.

Quick Reply: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.