Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tough decision as a land owner..... >

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 AM

Default RE: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Guys,

Get off his back about the NO Doe thing. I for one agree with him. On our farm we take no Does. Missouri's Conservation Department has decided in recent years to give unbelievable amounts of doe tags. I've watched the population steady decline. On my farm we went from seeing several deer per day to just a few. So the last few years we have said that we wouldn't kill any Does. Our population is rebounding while all the neighbors complain about there not being any deer like there use to be. Now if There gets to be too many does on my place then we will take a few. Thats it end of story. Why do you guys feel the need to take his or my management to task. You don't even know the situation. Blanket statements like: "you have to kill does to manage the herd properly" is rediculous. In some areas you there may be too few does.

Try to keep peace with family, but be firm. Your first mistake was waffling with the senior citizen, allowing him to take does. You should have stood firm.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

That's too bad that it ended this way. You took the high road and asked them to follow your rules or find somewhere else. They chose to call you names and say they didn't need your farm. I, for one, help my landowners with taxes, work around the land, and fix/hang any stands, start and maintain the mineral licks, and make sure that his freezer is full at the end of the season. I will be delivering a couple of X-mas gifts this afternoon before I climb into my stand. Find a couple of hunters that appreciate hunting on private land and respect your rules and you. It might be the best decision you ever made and your herd would probably improve as well. This is just my take as someone who has permission to hunt on a number of private properties.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM

Hate you are even having to deal with something like this. Funny how the family and friends become the ones pushing your buttons. We have the same thing happening here. As a new landowner, stand firm no matter who it is. With you being gone, you can always find someone who will be willing to rent it AND follow your rules. A person who is paying you will be a great asset to help you make sure your rules are followed. Hunting is a privilege. Everyone should remember this. We have many small tracts of land, and cannot keep poachers and tresspassers out ourselves. Game wardens are few and far between. We lease it out and they take care of it for us. Don't feel too badly about it, just because it's family doesn't mean they have the right to run over you.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say there done for the year they have already got 4 deer thats enough for any family so just say ok your done for the year.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM

They brake the only rule ,then poach and now your the bad guy .WOW I fill bad for you ,that they put you in that position.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM

I go with what the dnr say, they know better then we do on how too manage a herd
Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 PM

the decision sounds like its made, if they can't respect the ground rules.... heres the door.

people have more respect for others property then their own sometimes... maybe they need to learn that family should be treated better than strangers and have respected your wishes.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:07 PM
BDC
Fork Horn

Hey dont worry about it, families are way overrated. Just think of all the big bucks you will have to yourself next year.

That is meant to be sarcastic. Until things change in WV: adding more enforcement, antler restrictions, etc., practicing QDMA in the mountain state is a waste of time IMO and I dont think its worth losing a christmas present over.

I dont understand the correlation between stealing person property and going against a land owners wishes. The deer are no ones property but the state. As long as they did not kill more than they were allowed they have broken no laws. They just might have to find another place to hunt.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: BDC

Until things change in WV: adding more enforcement, antler restrictions, etc., practicing QDMA in the mountain state is a waste of time IMO and I dont think its worth losing a christmas present over.
I own a 50 acre farm in Pennsylvania.....I only live in Morgantown long enough to complete my education then it's back home to PA. WV QDM laws don't have any relevance to anything lol
Old 12-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow,

Is this your dad's brother and his son?
How long have you all been hunting together?
How close are you guys as far as other aspects of life?
What kind of "rules have been in place in the past? How have you guys hunted it before?
Did your granddad hunt and what kind of rules did he have in place if any?
How old are you?(just curious)
Have you guys all ever sat down(before all of this)and talked about goals for the property?

I only ask these things because despite what is being said family is vey important and many of these questions are important.

Also I am in an almost identical situation except for the fact that my grandfather left the farm to my dad and his brother 50/50. I can't imagine had he left it just to my father or even to me thatwe would say that the others must now follow our rules or leave and I know had my uncle inherited it all he would never say anything like that. But we are a hunting family and have hunted together for years(with sometimes differing views) andwe allknow that the land is there because my grandfather wanted us (all of us) to have a place to go, to call our own despite whose name it was left in. This is definitely not a situation to be handledthrough a phone call or a text message and I can't even believe there is talk of the police.Where I come from familymeans a lot and those relationships should be protected and supported (even if it means everyone swallowingtheir pride and trying to hash outthe differences). I could never imaginejust throwing away"forever" relationships with family over something as petty as the things you mentioned. Maybe you guys should rent the movie "NEXT of KIN", cook up some food, and try to work this thing out.I AM MY BROTHERS KEEPER!!
Just my .02

Quick Reply: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.