Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tough decision as a land owner..... >

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough decision as a land owner.....

Old 12-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tough decision as a land owner.....

Your land, your rules. If they can't comply with them then they have no rights to be hunting there. I have some first cousins that inherited several hundred acres of prime hunting land. They won't let anybody hunt there, they won't even consider leasing the land to me and as far as I know there has never been any problems within the family. While I am very family oriented, but there are a number of my cousins, etc that if I don't see them again I won't lose any sleep over it.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would have to say that if it was family and I really wanted to get something worked out, I would not leave a damn voice mail. I woulds get together with them, tell them your concerns and listen to their side of the story. If you get your point accross and they still do not respect your wishes then its time to take more drastic action. If we can't even work things out with family and friends, how will we ever work thing out with others?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: gamehunter1269
I would have told them that they are not welcome back after the first deer because you should not let them get away with such actions when you have already laid down the rules.
I am attending college and am not at home. I didn't hear about anything until all four had been shot, or believe me they would have got their fair warning after the very first.

ORIGINAL: PA BOW HUNTER
before I give you my opinion let me first ask is it possible there is some miscommunication going on here?
No miscommunication at all. They killed all four of them within 200 yards of my house, and even gutted the two button bucks less than 30 yards from my deer pen. No reason why they couldn't have drug them out into the field somewhere. I spoke with my cousin recently and was able to have a mature discussion about it. He tried feeding me the line that they "don't have as much money as us and he needed the meat". When he said this, I simply compared my status to his. The only thing he is in debt to right now is a truck payment. Their land, house, everything else has been in their family for years and paid off. I'm round about $50,000+ in debt due to student loans as we speak. That figure will nearly double before I graduate. I have a ****ty kitchen job that barely gets me through the bills. He work 50-60 hours per week, getting overtime on an already decent amount of money.

Thats was a poor excuse, and I told him that. If anybody would meat it would be me. I informed him that if i hear of only ONE MORE doe/or button buck being killed in any of the coming years without my permission, that he WILL lose all hunting privelages there for life. No excuses. Don't even risk it.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Spike

It seems that this topic has been beat to death, but I'll add my $0.02.

Ignoring the fact that they are family:

- they are engaging in illegal activities (or you suspect they are)
- they have ignored your explicit instructions (or seems that they have)

Despite what the arrangement has been for previous years, the land has a new owner with new rules. They, as guests to your property, need to abide by YOUR rules, or find somewhere else to hunt. You may have another concern of liability if you know or suspect thatpoaching is occuring on YOUR land and not reporting it. You couldwake up some morning to the knock of law enforcement officials atYOUR door! I didn't read the entire thread to see where this currently stands, but if it were me, I would sit down to have a calm, civilized discussion. Even write out a document stating your concerns. I would then offer a contract. The contract would spell out every and all details of others hunting on the land with the penalty for non-compliance. If they don't like the terms of the contract, they don't sign and they don't hunt. If they sign and you find them to breach the agreement, you now have legal precident to penalize them and no one has any sound excuse to be upset. I would even have it witnessed by someone not involved in the family (a friend who doesn't hunt maybe) and pay the fee to have it notarized. Thenthe matter of it being family bickering is eliminated and it'sa sound business arrangement. This may seem extreme but it appears that this situation is too that level. Good luck!