Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beginning hunter needs advice

Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Beginning hunter needs advice

My name is Tiffany, I am 20 years old. I have never been hunting before but would love to. I was wondering, from everyone's personalopinion what the best gear is for deer hunting (gun, calls, decoys, et cetera).

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Beginning hunter needs advice

all of the gear you use depends on where you hunt and what part of the season (pre-rut, post-rut, rut)deer behave differently during these times and require different techniques.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 AM

What state would you be hunting in?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 AM

I amin Missouri. I still need to take the classes to get my hunting permit, so I know basically nothing except what I want to hunt. I have a .22 for squirrel and rabbit but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I decided I want to go hunting about a month ago so I am learning as I go.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:23 AM

BunnyHoney,
I think its great that you are interested in hunting. What has made you decide to give it a try?
As for your questions about what is the best stuff to use: I personally don't think that there is a "Best" I think its all personal preference. But, there are definately some products that are better than others, and we can definately make some recomendations towards or against them. If you give a little more information such as what type of firearm / bow, what area and season you are hunting in will help us alot in our recomendations

Its great to have you on as a new member.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to rifle hunt for deer get yourself a .243 nice rifle small kick. check your states regulations for blaze orange.Then after your hunter ed courses get yourself a map of state and county land open for hunting and go to a spot thats close your home or work and look for deer sign.Or in your hunter safety class the person that teaches it my have some info or can point you to a local hunting group. Good luck and let us know if you need any more help.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Do you have a rifle other than your .22? Maybe one that you can borrow? I hunted from ground blinds that i built from limbs and leaves when I first started hunting. You need to be elevated when you hunt. For 2 reasons. Scent and sight. I have only been hunting hard for 2 seasons. Just don't get discouraged. Before the next season start you may want to do some scouting and see if there are any signs of deer in the area you are hunting. This may increase your chances when seasons open. but honestly everyone has their own way. just keep asking questions and I'm sure that we all will do our best to help ya out.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM

Welcome to the sport of hunting!
Wear something that's blaze orange, practice shooting your gun (I agree with getting a .243-that's what I hunt with), and watch where your gun is pointing. Alsoconsider getting a deer call. Enjoy and be safe!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you want to learn alot, buy the sportsman channel, they have hunting on 24/7
Old 12-07-2006, 10:22 AM

that is true.

Quick Reply: Beginning hunter needs advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.