Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beagle a deer?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 AM
bigcountry

Default Beagle a deer?

This morning was extremely crisp. 20F and no wind. Could hear everything. I am on my way out of the woods. And see this flicker of a white tail. I point my 460Smith pistol in that direction and have my scope on it. I am so zoned in, my back hurts from the excitement. I see this tail flicker some more, and waiting right until it pass's a tree, and see its head in the brush. I am thinking, should I let the round go?Nope, get a clear shot. It jumps out immediately, and I am about 1/4 second away from letting loose the cannon, and I see its my neighbor's beagle.

I could have sworn it was a small doe. sometimes we get so excited, and wrapped up in the moment, I think our mind see's what it wants to see. I would have felt horrible if Ishot it.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Spike

Default RE: Beagle a deer?

This is why I have 100% confirmation of my target before the safety ever comes off. Something white in the woods isn't always a deer.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Beagle a deer?

Agreed - 100% confirmation of target and beyond.

Not everyone hunts, so you never know when some random person may show up riding a horse, walking around in a white coat, walking dogs, ect on the land you hunt on without wearing orange.

( I've seen all 3 personally.... )