Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first deer with 30 06

Old 12-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Default My first deer with 30 06

I have been posting here for a while. I have been huntin for 10 years and and shooting for 15. I have succesfully hunted hogs, turkey, elk, dove, squirrel rabbit,and coyote. But Ihave spent more time hunting deer. And with no success! I hunted mostly with blackpowder. There was the one time I shot at a beautiful 10 pointer back in '98. But my black powder rifle went "CLICK". The primer had slipped off of the nipple. The buck didn't stickaround. This year I shot at two bucks. OneBP rifle malfuntion, and the other, my scope was off by 2'. Must have been knocked about in the car. Needless to say I havejust bought a new high quality BP rifle and I willput a high end scope in tally or warne rings for next year.
But last saturday I finally got blood on my hands. It was a doe, but I didn't want to have another unproductive season. It was my first season with centerfire. The big doe took a 30 06 slug of the Federal variety with 180 grain nosler partition. She was shot through the back part of her shoulder blades at 100 yards. The bullet passed all the way through. The exit wound was imperssive.
She went down IMMEDIATELY and died within30 seconds.No running, no walking, Just Bang and she hit the deck and didn't get up.
My hunting partner insists one needs a 300 win mag or one of the new short mags. I tell you that I am a firm believer in the 06 and this just reenforced my belief.
I hope to get a buck with my bow this year. But at last after 10 years Ihave venison in the cooler.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:34 PM

Default RE: My first deer with 30 06

congrats on putting one in the freezer.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 PM

Yea nice job, at least u didnt quit!?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 PM

Congrats on your deer, and respect for your perseverence! Just keep droppin em with your "little 'ol" -06, and smile every time someone tells you that you need more gun.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 PM

I'm sort of new to deer hunting, this is my 3rd season. But I've shot a deer each year with my 06 and every time they had dropped in their tracks and died quickly. I think the 06 is a great hunting rifle. I maintains it's knock down power at greater distances.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats!! im a believer that once you kill your first of anything the rest seem to be alot easier! just seems to calm your nerves and you know what you doing a bit more...

ive killed 9 deer with the 3006 and 1 with the 308. its all about shot placement. the farthest i had one go was about 50yds with a solid heart and double lunger. deer was dead on its feet, running into every tree along the way..heart gone and lungs blew up..wait i lied..i had my 2nd deer run pretty danged far..atleast 100yds. point blank shot..fist sized exit most the heart and lung pieces fell out of...he ran down the mountain and across the flat at the bottom till he ran into a boulder. i dont know how he went that far. other then them 2 all of them dropped on the spot or within sight. the truth of the matter is when i was a kid i always shot them midheight in the chest cavity. blew up the lungs but also close enough to the spine to shock it and drop it. i aimed there so if i missed a little i had some room. but thats why they drop. my lower hits are all solid double lungs and heart hits but they are the ones that make it a few more steps...

headed out now! go get you buck with the bow!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

CONGRATS ........
dd
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on a fine kill. You know what they say--patience is a virtue. Hopefully this is the first of many more to come.

Regarding the .30-06, it is the king ofhunting not only here in the states, but across the globe as well. I can't predict the future, but I'd wager that more deer have been killed in the past 100 years with the .30-06 than will ever be killed with the .300 Win Mag, or any magnum for that matter. In skilled hands, it can take anything. In the average joe's hands, it can still take all but the biggest, most dangerous game. The '06 didn't get its reputation by being a mediocre cartridge.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:55 AM

My dad started me on a 30-30 when I was 14. I am now 23 and going to buy my first new rifle. I have decided on the 30-06. I shot a deer with my uncle's remington a few years ago and was amazed. I hit the spike behind the front shoulder and it exited the shoulder on the far side. That deer was knocked off it's feet and it ran about 120 yards. I was surprised, but the blood trail was amazing. I found pieces of lung along the trail and hanging on sapplings. When I gutted the deer the heart was completely detached. The best thing I like was the fact, despite the opp shoulder being broken, i didn't lose much meat at all. The new mag rifles would have made the opp shoulder useless with the shot i put on that deer. I am a firm believer that the 06 is a great deer rifle.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:18 PM

good job, hope theirs many more

Quick Reply: My first deer with 30 06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.