Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is sensible distance to shoot...... >

What is sensible distance to shoot......

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is sensible distance to shoot......

Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default What is sensible distance to shoot......

a slug through a rifled barrel with iron sites?????? I've got a 12 ga. Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and rifle sites. I shoot Remington Slugger, Reduced Recoil slugs. I know that I shouldnot be shooting "foster" type slugs through my barrel, but @ 50 yds.3 shots are all but touching each other and they are almost dead-on where I aim. And I also clean my barrel real good. I'm figuring 75 yds. maybe 100 yds. if I have a good steady rest. Your thoughts on this setup????? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is sensible distance to shoot......

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with slug guns, but a good rule of thumb is, if you have the energy needed for the range, it boils down to your shooting ability! If you can consistantly group under 3" at 100 yards, then thats your limit! If you can hold a group like that at 200 yards then thats the limit! It does'nt matter if you have the energy for a 1000 yard shot, if you can't group at 100 yards, you just would'nt have any business shooting any farther! On the flip side, some folks that have the shooting ability to make a long shot, insist on using pea-shooters that don't have the energy needed to make clean kills at long range!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 PM

what he said
Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the same gun. Really, I kinda have to agree with Jagman, the slugs will go as far as you can physically aim and control it. However, out past like 50 yards the dot end of the iron site will cover up much of the deers vitals and midsection which leads to reduced accuracy.
I would say go get a shotgun scope on that gun and she can shoot for a great distance, probably out to 125 yards with only a couple inches drop. Mine is pretty much zeroed in at 50 and if I want to take a shot out at 100 yards, we put the crosshairs near the top of the back. I have never personally taken a shot out that far, but at the range its only a couple inches low at about 100 yards. I would just suggest keeping it clean and getting a scope, because mine shoots great. Just before the first gun season here in Illinois, we went out to the range just to "warm up" and make sure we shot the oil out of the barrel from the last cleaning and I was shooting within a 2 inch group at about 60 yards.
The only complaint I have had about mine was once I shot at a deer and hit it, and I was going to pump it and get another shell ready in case I wanted another shot to dispatch it and the shell didn't eject. The rim of the shell just barely got caught on the way out and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pump because I never looked back at the gun, because I didn't want to take my eyes off of the deer. It must have been pretty funny because another deer was just standing there watching me as I am struggling with the gun, moving around all over the place. Then I just looked down, and I was like, "Dam*it!". I pulled the shell out, and it pumped just fine. Sorry about the ranting, but I really do enjoy shooting my Mossberg.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies!!!!!! I've had this gun since I was 14 or 15. In 23 +/- yrs. of shooting a bunch of squirrels, rabbits, deer, dove, turkey, etc. etc. this gun has never had a malfunction.My Paw Paw Holloway had it for a while before he gave it to me so, I'm not really sure how old it is. Good huntin, Scott Woody
Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 PM

75 tops with the manage recoil. Regualr slugs you are good for 100
Old 12-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

JagMagMan gave you good info. You show good judgement by asking the question. It shows that youwant to take responsible shots. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'm comfortable shooting 200yards with my shotgun...We sight in at 100 & 150 yards.

However, It's a rifled barrel, shooting 1900fps sabot slugs, with a hight powered scope.

Skill + Equipment = longer shots. It takes a little of both to reach out a little further...

Old 12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

TSR6,
What is the point blank andsupplemental range yards on a slug zero'd at 150 yards? Also what is the max traj?