Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 finally got a deer, well actually two :) >

finally got a deer, well actually two :)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

finally got a deer, well actually two :)

Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default finally got a deer, well actually two :)

Iam a bowhunter first and saw quite a few this year. Got close a couple of times but no cigar. Saw nothing but white tails and flashes of brown in the thicket a couple times during gun season and was coming to the conclusion that this year i would be skunked. Well last night was a funny night. got done watching the bills game and decided to go out and sit in this corneroff ofa corn field that had just been cut down earlier that week. I was in black dress shoes and bluejeans with a jacket covered in an orange vest. i had conviced myself that i would see nothin so why the hell dress up like a real predator. So just before sunset i saw a deer step out and then another only closer.I raised my 835 slaying machineand squeezed the trigger oh so gently. The 3" lightfield screamed through the air and hit the front shoulder like a cannonball! He dropped right in his tracks.S o fast when i brought my head off of the gun i couldn't see him and at first thoughti'd missed.Thedoejumped at the crack of the death cannon and looked in the direction of the buck. Then i knew the slaying had begun. She just stood there. Hanging around for ever just looking at him. So i had to do what any carnivore would do. I lay that girl to rest and thank the gods for this shmorgishborg of meat i was gonna have for this cold winter. The 400+ gr sabot him her right in the thoracic cavity and she bolted for the treeline. i found her in the tall grass not fourty feet from where she took the blow from my meat slayer.

Then the games began!

gut her.
spill her.
drag her.

Then i go backover to him. He was the first one i had shot and he was still breathing a little when i saw him.I decided to give him a little more time and see if i could find her. After i was finished with her it was then that i went back over to see him.

Not good brothers.

My shot had hit his front shoulder, but he was far from expiring. it was dark by now and i wasn't comfortable shooting again with the fact that i wasnear a populated area. so i had to do something I've never done before.

The neck cut.

Terrible. Terrible!I love horror and violent movies.I play pantball with guys who enjoy cranking their guns and playing till you cry mercy. I work in an OR and have seen people unfortunately pass from complications during surgery.I did a tour in the service and don't see myself as a softy what so ever. But that was one of the lowest things i think I've ever seen and done. i knew it had to be done but it wasn't pretty and seemed like it took forever for him to pass.I hope to god i never have to do it again. Just terrible.

But thats part of huntin and you have to take the good with the bad.
Next year i think I'll carry a silenced HK USP 9mm. Just kidding.

Hope all of ya had a successfull year and a happy holidays.

Jimmy the foot out.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:30 PM

Default RE: finally got a deer, well actually two :)

You need therapy.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

therapy??

congrats on the twosome, i dont think i would have been able to cut the throat like that, kudos to you. How big was he? Pics?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: jimmy the foot

Iam a bowhunter first and saw quite a few this year. Got close a couple of times but no cigar. Saw nothing but white tails and flashes of brown in the thicket a couple times during gun season and was coming to the conclusion that this year i would be skunked. Well last night was a funny night. got done watching the bills game and decided to go out and sit in this corneroff ofa corn field that had just been cut down earlier that week. I was in black dress shoes and bluejeans with a jacket covered in an orange vest. i had conviced myself that i would see nothin so why the hell dress up like a real predator. So just before sunset i saw a deer step out and then another only closer.I raised my 835 slaying machineand squeezed the trigger oh so gently. The 3" lightfield screamed through the air and hit the front shoulder like a cannonball! He dropped right in his tracks.S o fast when i brought my head off of the gun i couldn't see him and at first thoughti'd missed.Thedoejumped at the crack of the death cannon and looked in the direction of the buck. Then i knew the slaying had begun. She just stood there. Hanging around for ever just looking at him. So i had to do what any carnivore would do. I lay that girl to rest and thank the gods for this shmorgishborg of meat i was gonna have for this cold winter. The 400+ gr sabot him her right in the thoracic cavity and she bolted for the treeline. i found her in the tall grass not fourty feet from where she took the blow from my meat slayer.

Then the games began!

gut her.
spill her.
drag her.

Then i go backover to him. He was the first one i had shot and he was still breathing a little when i saw him.I decided to give him a little more time and see if i could find her. After i was finished with her it was then that i went back over to see him.

Not good brothers.

My shot had hit his front shoulder, but he was far from expiring. it was dark by now and i wasn't comfortable shooting again with the fact that i wasnear a populated area. so i had to do something I've never done before.

The neck cut.

Terrible. Terrible!I love horror and violent movies.I play pantball with guys who enjoy cranking their guns and playing till you cry mercy. I work in an OR and have seen people unfortunately pass from complications during surgery.I did a tour in the service and don't see myself as a softy what so ever. But that was one of the lowest things i think I've ever seen and done. i knew it had to be done but it wasn't pretty and seemed like it took forever for him to pass.I hope to god i never have to do it again. Just terrible.

But thats part of huntin and you have to take the good with the bad.
Next year i think I'll carry a silenced HK USP 9mm. Just kidding.

Hope all of ya had a successfull year and a happy holidays.

Jimmy the foot out.
How old are you 14 or 15? if you can't handle that stuff, then you shouldn't be hunting.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

guys be nice, you know it's not easy to do that, thank god ive never been put in that situation. I would still have to shoot him again!!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey now giv ehim a break. Hek when i shot my first deer ever we walked up on it and it was still alive and 5 minutes past shooting hours and the doe was just staring and looking at me with a sad face and i just had to shoot it in the neck to put it out for good.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:10 PM

dont feel bad I have had a deer do that two Ishot it once with a 50 cal muzzleloader and then tracked him found him in a laruel thicket had to shoot him again both shots were in the chest. I thought I was going to have to cut his throat because he was still very alive I give him 5 after the 2 shot and he was dead
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah lay of a little, I remeber the first doe I shot and when I was gutting her in the field the fawns were watching me about 15 yards away. hard to see those little deeer just watch me murder their mom, but I am over it!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Congrats on the double. What you did had to be tough. I would've just shot to end it quicker than cutting the throat though. I mean, he was still breathing after you'd gutted the doe. Take it as a lesson learned and you're good to go.
-- B
Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

it was dark by now and i wasn't comfortable shooting again with the fact that i wasnear a populated area.
I think you made the right call, someone hears a gunshot after dark and calls it in, your sitting with two dead deer, could be hard to explain and might even be illegal if the game warden wanted to push the issue.

Yeah lay of a little, I remeber the first doe I shot and when I was gutting her in the field the fawns were watching me about 15 yards away. hard to see those little deeer just watch me murder their mom, but I am over it!
The doe my sister in law shot last year the fawns did the same thing, only the third deer she ever killed.She felt horrible and I had to gut it for her since the little ones wouldnt leave

Quick Reply: finally got a deer, well actually two :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.