Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS >

GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Old 12-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

hello folks, need advice.. i am getting older now and dragging deer out of the woods is getting to much..

i shot 8 point buck first day..i had to drag it about 1/2 mile ..i was all in and now have cold over it..

my question is,what is good way to get deer out other than dragging it..some said those carts are good..i also have ladder stand that i need something to haul that into woods also,so, whatever could be used for both the stand in and deer out..

any tips would be appreciated..
Old 12-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

is it private or public land???????

i have a cart for public land and i use my ATV for private land
Old 12-04-2006, 06:57 PM

Deer cart is great! Sometimes still need to two people though!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM

A deer cart with one set of big wheels works great. MV out!

Super Mag Hauler

Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know what you mean , getting old , lazy and outta shape is a real pain in the *** and it gets to be real work out bringing your torphy home.
I started using my Magnum Game Carrier from Cabela's , it has a 300 lb. capacity and 16 inch puncture proof solid tires.
I use it to carry my treestands and climbing sticks in to set them up inSept. and to haul them out in Jan. oh yea it really makes it easyer to haul your deer out too.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bob d

is it private or public land???????

i have a cart for public land and i use my ATV for private land
this is publicland..i was looking at alumium ones..i will only use it to haul in my ladder treestand and bring out a buck,max weight would be 150 pds, i would guess on deer..
Old 12-04-2006, 09:49 PM

Don't know if it snows where you're at.......but Cabela's also has a heavy duty plastic sleigh in a couple sizes. Get the big one if your deer are large.

It's pretty slick,lay the deer on the mat and lace rope through the eyelets along the edges. Tighten it up (looks like a suasage)........pulls real slick!!

The wheel carts don't always work too well if there's snow on the ground.

Or as my dad would say, "That's why I 'had' you boys!"

Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

an inexpensive plastic sled is a great tool... lightweight and easy to pull, especially on snow.... put a couple of bungie cords on one side and holes on the other and you can criss cross to strap the deer down... rope out front and away you go.... use them to haul goose decoys and lately for getting deer out of the woods... talking the long tub like plastic molded ones...

tried a deer cart for a season or two but by the time you drag the thing a mile and a half into the woods, load a deer up and get it back out it is a real PITA especially in hilly or mountainous terrain...
Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I got one of the deer carts this year for under $100 and it was money well spent. I got my deer out by myself and it was MUCH easier than dragging. I would highly recommend one to lighten your load. The only difficulty that I had was getting the deer on to the cart and tying him down. The cart is also help getting the deer into the back of the truck as you can use it to lever the deer by placing one end on the tailgate and lifting sort of like a wheel barrow. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 AM

I'm still sore as heck from dragging mine out Saturday morning. I had to carry him across a creek, then drag him 200 yards uphill in 6 inches of snow. Not the worst extraction ever, but it was enough to do me in, lol. My problem is I really have no option other than dragging. The terrain is such that I can't get an ATV back in there, or even a cart. I just chalk it up as part of the deal I guess...

Quick Reply: GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.