Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS >

GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

On private land I usea 4wheeler. But if I am on land where I can't use a ATV I use my deer cart. They help out alot. One of the hardest things is getting it onto the cart and strapped on.

I also use a ladder stand. One way that I have found that is easier to get them into and out of the woods(If I can't use an ATV) is strap the seat end of your stand to the deer cart. Then all you have to do is pull it through the woods. It is tough but alot easier than dragging it.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jimmy the foot

try quartering it and putting the meat in a garbage bag. i mean who really eats the ribs, spine, head, lower legs with hooves. i really don't even see the point in eating the flanks to be honest. by the time i'm done they are like paper thin and not even worth grinding due to all the facia and fat around it. but thats just my opinion.
i know hunter that does as you say, he carrys the deer meat out on his backpack he got ,i think its called rocky mountain backpack..

that 19 dollar dolly with kids 18 inch wheels i put on,i think should do real good..i use nothing but a LADDER STAND,i hate climbing or treesuit stand, i have them all..

funny, all expensive stands i have and my best one is 49 dollar 15 ft ladder stand..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Plastic toboggan, they slide over everything but bare dirt easily.

Ive had too resort too cutting a couple deer in half. Gut, then cut in half right behind the rib cage,, you lose a little bit of loin meat but its alot easier making 2 trips with 1 deer.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 PM

Im ussually with a couple of people and here, in North Dakota i ussually seem to get them not to far from a prarie trail or somethign, there is always some draggin but not to far
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Spike

I built my own cart out of 3/4 conduit 2 old bicycle tires and some back pack straps. as soon as i figure out how to post pictures (newbie) i will.works really nice
Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Kong, get yourself one of these deer sleighs from Cabelas. The large size is like $25 dollars. It makes a deer slide like skates on ice. Don't bother with the bag. First thing I did was replace the ropes with something a little better. The dirctions tell you to lay him on his back. I've found he won't stay that way. Just go ahead and lay him on his side and tie his legs inside the load. I mean, you walk along like he's not therre compared to dragging. Down hill it'll run you down. I use it when I go to NY where we hump back in a long ways. I can tie it right on my back. I also added a couple old necks off old grunt tubes for handles. I have an old safety strap through it too that I can just sling over my shoulder like a back quiver. It is slick. I roll it up tight and stick it so it won't rub or unwind with a piece of duct tape. When we're going to be back in there for 2 or 3 days I just leave it until the last day. I'm on my 3rd one. They don't last forever, but they're worth the few bucks when you have to drag a deer 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. They'll split eventually but still work. I just use it for tough drags, not for places I can get within 200 or 300 yards.
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005553221989a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=deer+sleigh&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=deer+sleigh&noImage=0
Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WILKESFASTJAY

I built my own cart out of 3/4 conduit 2 old bicycle tires and some back pack straps. as soon as i figure out how to post pictures (newbie) i will.works really nice
sounds great.. i found site that also did what you have,he used 3/4 conduit..

he said he had 50 dollars in materials..

that dolly i got at one of those tent tool sales that came through area was 19 dollars..all i had to do was take dolly wheels off and replace with bike wheels..

it is only 12 inchs wide is my worry..what is width that you should have so deer sits inside?

yes, i would be interested in your conduit cart infoalso..
Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Plastic toboggan, they slide over everything but bare dirt easily.

Ive had too resort too cutting a couple deer in half. Gut, then cut in half right behind the rib cage,, you lose a little bit of loin meat but its alot easier making 2 trips with 1 deer.
toboggan is fine if you are only hauling deer OUT..i need to haul in a ladder treestand,then my buck back out..a lot use toboggan when they have snow on ground..

when you get older even toboggan is hard..for me the cart is way to go,but i dont know if 12 inch wide dolly is wide enough..
Old 12-06-2006, 01:46 PM

I just drag the deer, and sometimes, it is a nuisance.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM

I had to drag this 190lb buck by myself through rough hilly NE Georgia foothills. I dragged him about 3/4 mile and called my Bro in law. He helped me get it onto the cart...which was about 1 mile up a hilly meadow. I was so exhausted I could barely take the picture, but worth every minute. I would do it again anyday! This was my first deer...and experience with removal.

Quick Reply: GETTING YOUR DEER OUT OF WOODS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.