Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wasting deer!

Old 12-04-2006, 06:20 AM

Default RE: wasting deer!

I think he can give them to nursing homes, and food kitchens. unless he just a killer.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Up untill this year Ive been able to buy 4 or 5 or even more deer tags, mostly for does.The DNR, the state, and the insurance companies made a big fuss about getting does killed, even threatened at one point to goto a couple years of doe only tags if the population wasnt contolled.

We got a lot of families in the area without a lot of extra money, we got a lot of old timers that like deer but arent able to hunt them anymore.Even farmers that like to eat deer but are busy with field work during the hunting season and cant get out to shoot one.I give deer every year to different people in these situations, in return I am doing what the state wants done and even gain access to a lot of hunting ground by doing so.Theres even a program set up by the state to donate extra deer to be processed for the less fortuate to eat.Im not really seeing how any of this would be considered wasting deer.

Leaving them to rot is wanton waste in most states as far as I can tell, its illegal and unethical.Hard to prove however unless you see them do it and have a carcass.Contact the DNR, tell em what the kid told you, maybe they can catch him doing it, but thats about all you can do.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:50 AM

i cant decide what to think about the kid giving deer away. i have to ask two questions to figure that out.
1. did he tag em and then give em away
2. or did he just shoot em and give em away so no one would find out.

and as far as leaving the deer to rot. that is just a waste of meat and he is just gonna ruin the hunting for everyother honest hunter out there. people like this should never be allowed to hunt any animal ever again.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

i agree it is absolutely rediculous...i know a kid who has killed 26 deer this year...he claims the guy told him to kill anything on the land...i dont know though, that sounds a bit crazy.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 PM

the only time i've felt OK with letting a deer lay after killing it was when a guy shot a small 75-80lbs doe this year on opening day. when he went to field dress it he discovered the entire back and rump of the deer was rotten. it was infected from an injury (most likely an arrow or early muzzle loader shot) and the hair and hide was nearly all gone in that area, exposed meat, pus coming out of the wound and the smell was horrendous. some people may not, but i agree in leaving the deer and not messing with it only to find most of the meat rotten. its hard to say where the infection had spread in the body, but i too would have left it for the foxes and vultures.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

just a bit more info...

this same kid works for my dad in the fields during combining. he has shot deer without permision on our property several times. But we cant really turn him in because he and his dad work for us. He also hunts in the deer eradication zone and thats where he shoots them and leves them lay. He now is forbiden to shot any deer on our property. This same kid goes all over without permission shooting every deer he sees. The local landoners are just too nice to do anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: maddawg0517

the only time i've felt OK with letting a deer lay after killing it was when a guy shot a small 75-80lbs doe this year on opening day. when he went to field dress it he discovered the entire back and rump of the deer was rotten. it was infected from an injury (most likely an arrow or early muzzle loader shot) and the hair and hide was nearly all gone in that area, exposed meat, pus coming out of the wound and the smell was horrendous. some people may not, but i agree in leaving the deer and not messing with it only to find most of the meat rotten. its hard to say where the infection had spread in the body, but i too would have left it for the foxes and vultures.
insome states the deer would still require a tag. did this guy "waste" his tag or go about things as if he hadn't killed a deer.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

I would have to say that he isnt a very ethical person, just killing to kill and take the horns. I would turn him in for stupid crap like that.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:10 PM

Oh man, it is disgusting.I was walking around today and I found 2 does laying on the ground. The sick part about it was that all of the limbs were chopped off: legs, even the head. Plus to top it off the meat was wasted, I was beyond pissed off because this is not very far from where I hunt. I want to find out who did it so I can report them.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 PM

This year in the area i was hunting there was so much shooting of deer and leaving them lay, they had to get like 5 more unmarked game wardens to try and stop it but there was still deer showing up all over just laying out in the feild easily where u can tell they were just shot to let lay, if they were even goin through the trouble to get the meat it wouldnt be as bad but when there are deer just laying around right off the roads its getting bad

Quick Reply: wasting deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.