Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I got REALLY lucky

Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default I got REALLY lucky

OK, Had a good day in the woods with a buddy, 8 point Hanging tonight along side a Doe.

I took two shots early this morning at the 8 point above, however my hunting buddy put the lethal shot into him after we started tracking him. So he used his tag andI continued to hunt.

When the doe (now haning in the barn)walked by at 10-12 feet I couldn't resist and I pulled the trigger and BAMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I saw that I hit her but why was the shot so fricking loud? I was wearing my shooting glasses thankfully because I shoot left handed and use a right handed Remington 870 Express. Well I turn over the gun and look and when I shot the slide and block were not "locked" in place and it came back exposing the shell during its firing. Take a look at the picture below of the gun and what is left of the shotgun shell.

Do you think Remington will fix it? The gun is only 3-4 years old and I have only put around 50-60 shots through it.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Spike

Default RE: I got REALLY lucky

Here is the picture of the shell. Plastic part is long gone and the metal collar is shreaded.

My ears are still recovering, and I think I'll say an extra prayer before bed tonight.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:02 PM

I dont know if they will fix it but i know i would be pissed off yet thankful at the same time. Good thing your not hurt.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

WOW! You are VERY lucky! I honestly doubt Remington will fix it. It sounds like you just didn't close the action completely. Never had experience with Remington warranty so I could be wrong.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 PM

You are a very lucky person

Old 12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good thing your still alive.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'd think the gun wouldn't fire if the action wasn't completely closed.

You would also think that this would be happening all the time with guys shooting fast.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Spike

My brother bought a 870 express left handed version two years ago, and last year we were out bird hunting and he blew the end of the barrel off. I don't know if the choke was loose or what the deal was but I know I was standing right next to him and it was very loud and I saw the choke go flying threw the air. He took it back to the place he bought it and they sent it in to remington and they gave him a new gun. I would send it in it's worth the try.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet they'll fix it, or give you a new gun, it's nothing to them to replace/fix compared to haveing someone who is upset and might talk bad about their product. Give them call.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:51 AM

First off, congrats on the hunt, and more importantly coming home in one piece.

I would definately contact them. It sounds to me like the gun malfunctioned and they should replace it. I don't have that gun, but my Mossberg will not fire unless it is locked. I would bet that your gun should not have fired either if it weren't locked. Like Mastevt said, it is cheap for them to replace it. I would take it a bit further that it is cheap insurance for them to keep you a happy owner, and out of potential legal issues.

Quick Reply: I got REALLY lucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.