Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Lung Shot and Still survive???????? >

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Old 12-03-2006, 02:43 AM

Default RE: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

High and way back,, maybe a cut up diaphram but in no way a lung shot..

Personally I think alot of photoshop on that picture!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd have to say that it would be very hard for a deer to survive a lung shot! With just one lung being hit, it may survive a little longer, but eventually, it is going to drown in its own blood!
As far as the buck picture, with all the photo editing programs these days, I'd have to see that deer or know the person that took the picture!
If its real, it does look like a steep angle, too far back!
The one thing that makes me think "phoney," is I don't think a buck with that kind of wound would be standing at a bait pile!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with jag. Aint no way a deer will survive a razor tip broad head to one lung. It will never stop bleeding. He will go farther, but he aint gonna make to the next night and sit and eat some corn. Uh uh. Got to be photo shop
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

If you ask me i think that it will die eventually, sounds like you definitly hit a lung though, maybe just nicked it

Old 12-04-2006, 11:33 AM

i have never personally hit only one lung on a deer. but i do know that deer have an amazing will to survive. i have seen deer spook up in front of me that have one, two, or even three legs broken from poor shots. its sad to see. but deer will keep going until they cant go anymore. anyone who has hit a deer good and tracked it forever will tell you the same thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM

The first deer I shot was one lung and the arrow stopped in the heart. That sucker ran 400 yards! It did die though.

I agree, I don't see one surviving with punctured lung, but it does take a bit longer for them to die that way.

I'm suprised we don't have anyone here that is a vet and could answer it for sure. I know we have some doctors though.

Paul
Old 12-04-2006, 06:49 PM

I am a physician, and yes an animal can survive very nicely with only one lung. A single lung shot will not be fatal unless a large enough blood vessle has been hit to cause a fatal hemmorhage or a tension pneumothorax develops.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM

That pic is Photo shopped or the arrow is high and is lodged in the muscle of the back strap. If it was to hit a lung that arrow would be moving alot and slice up more and more of the lung with every step the deer took. Also if you want to say it is the shoulder, then the shaft would still be in the lungmoving with every step and prevent a clot from forming.That is either a missed lung and somehow lodged above or photo shopped. Any one who has shot and recovered a deer with an arrow that did not pass through knows how much damage they do as they run and walk. Missed lung or photo shopped, only two possibilities!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:54 AM

I am a skeptic, so I automatically think this image was photoshoped.
It may be real, but I could not use it as a basis for this arguement until it was verified.

oh yeah, here is a picture of my cat

Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

that deer wasnt lung shot the lungs is a bit lower than that

Quick Reply: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.