Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Lung Shot and Still survive???????? >

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Old 12-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Boy, PETA would eat that up wouldn't they? I mean really, deer and rabbits eating together, what is this world coming too!LOLJK
Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

wow, never seen that pic before. thanks for the info too
Old 12-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was the buck in the picture harvested? If not how does heknow the lung was even hit??

As to the doe missing a lung, what was left of the missing lung?

I guess my background in cardio pulmanory functionmakes it pretty hard tothink a deer could survive with a lung spewing blood into the breathing circuit. I have seendeer explained as walking trauma centres maybe they also have a surgeon on board as well. I may be off on this one, though have never seen a game animal survive a single lung hit bow or gun.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

This deer is not even hit in one lung. looks to have been a quartering toward or broad shot but hard to tell, guts at best.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Skeeter, You might have seen some of my posting or others about a book called tracking dogs for finding wounded deer. John talks in his book about his research and that during some of his necropsys (sp)he found a doe with one lung that looked like a prune and another that had and obvious broadhead scare through the top of the lung. Both were obvious old and healed. 3 years ago I tracked a deer that was obvious one lung. Sharp down angle, bubbles typical sign for lung. Being my first full season of tracking I made some mistakes on this one and ended up not finiding the deer. Well the following year I run into the hunter and he tells me they spotted the buck 2 weeks later with a wound on the top right side. The deer was going strong though. I would say surving is possably but I imagine that depending on the type of weapon used thus the amount of contamination to the wound that infections probably kill a great number of one lung hit deer.

Get back to the original posters question about that particular deer. As a tracker one of the questions I would have asked before taking the call was there any bone at the hit site. Most lung blood is pinkish not bright red. The bright red is usually some type of muscle. IF the deer was hit in the jaw as someone mentioned the deer would have been trackable but would have taken a while to walk the deer down, keep it bleeding and catch it in a wound bed.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

hia looks more ike a sharp sharp quartering away shot the penetrated so little and then hit the shoulder

Thats just me
Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

hia looks more ike a sharp sharp quartering away shot the penetrated so little and then hit the shoulder
Thats just me
Oneshot, i wasstruggling with the angle as well with this picture however this is how i based my decision.The arrow is very far back and there is quite a bit of shaft sticking out. Ifthe arrow was quartering awayand stuck in the opposite shoulder it would have to be like a 40 inchlong arrow.I dunno does that make sense? at best there is maybe 10 inches in that deer.ahh i see what u mean now one, A sharp sharp angle i guess is possible however in my opinon i cannot see how it would meet the shoulder.my guess is its lodged in a rib on the other side. hard to tell the angle sucks.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

to me it looks like a quartering away shot that hit a rib and lost its steam, looks like it got a lung to me, we'll never kno unless the guy or someone else kills him!!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:35 AM
Fork Horn

Beautiful buck.Disappointingto see wounded. The picture definately leaves the question to survival if a lung has been shot. I personally shot a buck a couple years ago that was single lung hit. Great blood trail. The buck did die, but not until I spent almost three hours tracking.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well lets hope he was harvested!

Quick Reply: Lung Shot and Still survive????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.