Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting

Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 PM

Default baiting

who all here baits deer? and what are your thoughts on the matter?

I for one can't stand it and think that it makes for lousy hunting and makes the deer go places they would not go if it were not being baited, and the chance of spreading disease is a little better cause of it...but i am forced to do it cause if I don't everyone around me will and I'll see nothing.
Kinda sad...and I hate having to do it but do it anyway...makes me look like a hypocrite.[:'(]
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: baiting

If it is legal and you want to bait then go for it. If you think about it, every way you hunt can be questioned by someone as unethical. Everybody looks for advantages of some kind.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:06 PM

If you don't want to don't.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is legal, and I do. I do more for Camtrakker photos than hunting.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:59 AM

On a couple of different bowhunting threads I have been quite against baiting. It is illegal in my state (NY).......... However, this season has gone sour for me. While I am sitting in the woods staring at trees I think if my negative remarks about baiting and have since decided that it may not be such a bad idea after all. I would never do this since it is illegal but if NY were to allow baiting I would go for it. I would not sit there and blast every doe and fawn off of the bait pile though..

man I am just sick of not seeing any deer.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: salty

On a couple of different bowhunting threads I have been quite against baiting. It is illegal in my state (NY).......... However, this season has gone sour for me. While I am sitting in the woods staring at trees I think if my negative remarks about baiting and have since decided that it may not be such a bad idea after all. I would never do this since it is illegal but if NY were to allow baiting I would go for it. I would not sit there and blast every doe and fawn off of the bait pile though..

man I am just sick of not seeing any deer.
the bad part is even if you do put out bait here there is still a huge chance you will see nothing.
cause everyone around here baits the heck out of their stands.
i only do it on two of my stands and only one seems to have deer coming to it.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Texas its almost neccessary. Like up in the hill country or in the brush of south Texas. There are no planted crops, only dense woods, and were talking millions of acres of woods and you have a couple of hundred in a sea of woods. We cant pattern deer, theres no bedding areas and feeding areas. They eat where ever they are and sleep wherever they want. You cant glass cause your only looking at the most a 100 yds. We feed senderos and hope to stop a deer crossing long enough to get a shot. I find hand thrown corn works better than a electric feeder.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two "Bait Piles" on my property. I use more for suplementle(sp?) feeding & pictures. I have only shot Does on it the bigger bucks don't seem to come in until after dark.I have stands located about 100 yards in every direction.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:02 AM

Even though it is illegal in NY, I am putting out corn after this season near my game cam to see if there are actually deer in my area. i am almost convinced my woods are bare besides squirrels
Old 12-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

This same old Debait comes up every year at this time, Yawn!!!
Simple enough, if it's legal, and you want to, do it! If its illegal, don't do it!

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.