Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting a Blizzard....

Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting a Blizzard....

I was out in the blizzard too..

it was nuts, and didnt see a damned live animal anywhere.

That night once it had stopped though - stuff was moving all over the place!

My mentality was "hmm, so i still woke up at 4am without an alarm *peeks out window* it has to stop at some point..... ahh heck, I might as well just go huntin'!"
Old 12-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TSR6

That night once it had stopped though - stuff was moving all over the place!
Fresh snow on the ground right after a blizzard, cold and calm - you haven't lived until you've hunted in those conditions.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

During a good hard wind and snow I like to get mobile. Keep the wind off your back and noise shouldn't be an issue. Look real hard for bedded deer. Thats what I have done. I have never taken a deer this way but I have had my chances.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 PM

personally I have never even seen a blizzard but when I was little but anyway I would think the only way you are going to see deer is to move through thick conifer cover or something to get them out of the wind and snow and try to bust them. Even thought I have hunted after some big snows I seems like everything comes to life fora little while after the snow stops falling. Then you can here everythingbecause it is great peaceful quiet
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies everyone...

I didn't go out Friday morning because the power went out and frankly it was ridiculous out. However, I went out that afternoon with high expectations and didn't see a dang thing....

It seems to kinda be the pattern for the second season in my area here in Illinois. Most people I talked to that hunted near us said they didn't see anything at all. I wouldn't have seen an animal that could have been shot if it hadn't have been for a doe and a yearling doe that I almost stepped on. I was out 6 times in the 4 days and saw a total of 7 deer out of the 8 that my total hunting party saw. Three just happened to be in a field I could because of the snow on the other side of a thicket, all does. Two were scared out of a tree line about 80+ yards away while we left our stands, and the other two I saw, I was about 10 feet from when I was heading back to the vehicle after a hunt. It was strange, but I talked to the person who hunts directly across the road from us on and he said he didn't see a single deer all season....Weird.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vogt_51

I am a little crazy, but I am definately going out tomorrow as Illinois only has the weekend left for shotgun season. However, what strategy do you think would be best for success? Supposively it could be anywhere from 6-12 inches tomorrow with wind having gusts up to 50 mph. I can be in a pretty good blind tomorrow so the wind wouldn't be too much of an issue. However, after seeing ZERO deer today, is it worth it?
I suppose my strategy would be to hunt from a warm truck or over some corn

dd

Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM

Go with what MN Deerman told ya. It's a good idea. Hunt the blind in the morning, then find the thickest stuff you can and stalk. If you can, find their food source and stalk from there into the cover. That way anything that may be sneaking out will cross your path.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fresh snow on the ground right after a blizzard, cold and calm - you haven't lived until you've hunted in those conditions.
SO TRUE. SO TRUE.

I love finding a fresh trail while the snowis comingdown or right after it stops. There is something that makes my heart pound knowing that a deer was just here within the last hour or two, and that I just might catch up to him.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Walk the timber very very slow without making any noise, stopping every few steps to scan the timber with your binocs. You'll see something. Last time I did it, we bagged a 4x5 muletail.