Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting a Blizzard....

Old 11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting a Blizzard....

I am a little crazy, but I am definately going out tomorrow as Illinois only has the weekend left for shotgun season. However, what strategy do you think would be best for success? Supposively it could be anywhere from 6-12 inches tomorrow with wind having gusts up to 50 mph. I can be in a pretty good blind tomorrow so the wind wouldn't be too much of an issue. However, after seeing ZERO deer today, is it worth it?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting a Blizzard....

Hunting in a blizzard isn't the best but if the deer were hunkered today due to the front they'll have to move at somepoint tomorrow. Hopefully the snow and wind will not be pounding all day so that is gives them the desire to move. In such conditions hunting in cover is the best plan, the deer will move more in such areas even in crap weather. If hunting a field then you may see a lot of white and not whitetail, though you can't shoot one sitting at home either!!

I encountered a small blizzard like condition this morning the deer where moving before it started and again after it settled. During the poor conditions I found deer still but they were all in sheltered area the biggest problem is human and equipment fatigue though. Frozen binos and hunter, plus the one chance I had on good buck was met with nothing but snow in the scope as visability was very short..but hey at least I had that cahnce to help ease the pain of frost bite!

Good luck and be safe(travelling and hunting).
Old 12-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I encountered a small blizzard like condition this morning the deer where moving before it started and again after it settled
the timesi hunted in canada the most productive times were just before and during the start of the snow(ing) and as soon as it quit, i tried hunting one day in the driving snow and saw minimal activity, we don't have any snow here to speak of but i have also found the same to be true about heavy rain[:@][&o]

good luck

Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was going out this morning but the snow was coming down horizontally ,so i figure on getting out once it slows down a bit
Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting in 50 mpg wind gusts?! You northern boys are too much for me!

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend a blizzard hunt, but then again, I've never tried.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find their food.... they will still come out to eat. Think more than the farm fields though. This is what I have found.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

First I commend you for that type of dedication, 50 miles wind and all. Secondly the way I would approach it is to sit in your stand until about 9:00 or 10:00 am or so, if they are moving you will know by then. Then I would hit the woods and start stalking. Powdery snow and wind make excellent scent and noise covers, obviously you want the wind somewhat in your face and slowly make your way through some thick cover. It's been my experience that deer will hold until the very last minute in conditions like that and it should allow you to get closer than you normally would be able to.

Now the most important part. If you are going to attempt this, make sure you know the woods like the back of your hand and keep a compass close by. You can't imagine how easy it is to get turned around in woods your not familiar with in those types of conditions, A GPS certainly would be even better. Good luck and let us know how you did.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried from a ground blind,55mph winds to brutal for me.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:06 PM

While the blizzard is going you should find sheltered ridges with fir trees. Still hunt along the ridge and be ready to ambush a buck that does not see or hear you coming.

If the blizzard subsides the deer should start to move to their food sources. Set up a ground blind and wait for Mr Big Buck to come calling. Watch the edges closely and watch other deer behavior like looking over their shoulder or submitting to something you can't see yet.MV out!
Old 12-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN_Deerman

Now the most important part. If you are going to attempt this, make sure you know the woods like the back of your hand and keep a compass close by. You can't imagine how easy it is to get turned around in woods your not familiar with in those types of conditions, A GPS certainly would be even better.
My exact thoughts...

Quick Reply: Hunting a Blizzard....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.