Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

FIELD DRESSING

Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM

Default RE: FIELD DRESSING

ORIGINAL: Branson

Since then, it's all about tying it off. I don't want to risk that again. I split the pelvis too,
-- B
you split the pelvis and don't cut the anus out? i don't get why you tie it off when the pelvis is split and all you have to do is cut it out
Old 11-30-2006, 04:02 PM

Axp,
I tie the anus off first. I figure the more time it's open, the more chances I have of spilling poo in the deer.
-- B
Old 11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Sswpriz, exposed meat not likely to be good? I am sure you mean that with qualifiers/variables such as temp, cleanliness, etc...? I say this, as I have never had a problem with spoilage or other issue from splitting the pelvicor from letting deer cut from chest through pelvic hang for up to 3-4 days in cool enough weather.
Red Lion, I should have expanded my answer more, yes, there are a lot of variables . I hunt in Wisconsin and a normal deer season for us will freeze a deer overnite and keep it for many days in a frozen state. No problem with spoilage here. But if it gets too warm like it did this years on about Tuesday after opening day, I had to get the deer to a butcher on Wednesday otherewise I would cut it up myself on Friday after opening , almost a week. It got into the 50's tho and that I feel is too warm.

Any meat with the skin off of it tho will dry out and not be much good except for sausage tho.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM

I was taught you have to split the pelvis bone and cut the anus out. The droppings do not matter as much as not breaking the urine sack. I was also told it is embarrassing to bring your deer to the butcher with his a-hole still there. I think about that conversation every time I am dressinga deer. MV out!