Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Small Range Rifle????

Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Small Range Rifle????

ORIGINAL: younggun243

You're buddy has a .32 what? Is it a Remington cal., or a Win., or something else?
i'll have to ask him, i know its a 32 but i'm not sure if its a win or rem. i'll have to ask him when i see him tonight or tomorrow
Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Spike

Do you hunt from an elevated position (elevated blind, tree stand, etc.)? If a stray bullet is the concern, shooting from an elevated position will eliminate the problem almost immediately. Spend $300 on a decent climbing or platformstand that youcould use anywhere and be done withrather thananother gun you have to feed ammo:

Link

Link

I use a .270 and a 12 ga. shotgun for the different areas I hunt and I'm always elevated, so I have a good vantage point, no stray misses, and stray shots from other hunters should be below me (if they are shooting down or on a horizontal). I think elevation is your answer. Even a muzzleloader is accurate out to 200 yds. so it is dangerous far beyond that.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The blind looks really cool, and only $320.00! That's a bargain,IMO.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:33 PM

store bough stands are nice and last a very long time, but i mainly make ladder stands out of 2x4's and some plywood. or i hang some steps in a tree and build a little platform big enough for me to sit on. either way all ideas are good and shooting from an elevated position does eliminate some of the problems with stray bullets
Old 11-30-2006, 05:00 PM

if u want a deer gun that dosent go any farther than 100 yards get a 22 22 mag 17hmr those will work but proble not legal all legal calibers will go more than 100 yards sound like to me u need a 22 mag with a good scope and put right between there eyes
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that .22 Mag. isn't legal anywhere in the U.S., because it's a rimfire. Usually, only centerfire rounds are allowed.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: terbzz

if u want a deer gun that dosent go any farther than 100 yards get a 22 22 mag 17hmr those will work but proble not legal all legal calibers will go more than 100 yards sound like to me u need a 22 mag with a good scope and put right between there eyes
This one of the silliest posts that I have read in a while. First of all, it is illegal, but 22 and 17 calibers are probably more dangerous than most due to the riccochet factor.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: axp117crow

store bough stands are nice and last a very long time, but i mainly make ladder stands out of 2x4's and some plywood. or i hang some steps in a tree and build a little platform big enough for me to sit on. either way all ideas are good and shooting from an elevated position does eliminate some of the problems with stray bullets
If I were a land owner granting permission to others to hunt my land, permanent standsnailed to trees that would be rotten in a few years (and my problem to remove)would be theLAST thing I would allow. A climbing stand or the free standing blind I posted have very little to zero impact to the land. Plus if you have to move or the land you hunt is sold to someone who won't allow you to hunt, the time and money you spent on building a permanent wooden stand isn't wasted. You just take these mobile stands with you. You could also do a ladder stand that straps around a tree at the top. I have the previous versionof theclimbing stand posted above and I love it! It's light, the seat warmand if we see/hear deer moving on one side of the property vs. another, you aren't limited to where you have pre-existing stands. I almost always have luck finding a treewith no branches to climb. That platform blind would be good if you are hunting a field or thetrees are too small.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please remember to use the safety harness. ESPECIALLY with home made stands
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Please remember to use the safety harness. ESPECIALLY with home made stands

i have many stands i hunt on a few different properties, some are bought and some are built. either way i feel more safe in the stands that i built than in a store bought one. the bought ones are great and i love the few i have, and my wooden ladder stands and makeshift stands i assure you are just as safe. but either way i always use my harness, as should everyone. any tree stand can fail, and any tree can break

Quick Reply: Small Range Rifle????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.