Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

whitetail are so cool

Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default whitetail are so cool

I know we all have noticed how deer act when something isnt right. I just find it so cool. Have I been busted yesI have. When they dont know something is right its so neat how they act. If they start snorting you tell yourself well there goes the hunt. They have are so awasome to just sit there and look at. It makes me mad when people think of them as something that needs to be killed. This may sound crazy if I have deer that comes close that feeling you get. I never felt anything better then that.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: whitetail are so cool

That is why I "trophy hunt" ( on top of the fact that we always get enough meat in our group that we don't NEED to shoot little ones... ). Let the little ones grow!

I get to watch the does and the little bucks fool around, see how close I can let them come, watch them trying to figure out what "just isn't right" - It truly is a blast to watch their behavior, and I pity the hunters that shoot atjust anything and everything that moves. They definately miss out.

I had a conversation like this with another hunter one time. He's known to be one of those that blasts first, and checks the deer's size and sex later - assuming he even hits it. I can't remember exactly which "Deer doing silly things" story i was telling, but he was all "NAHH, Deer don't do that! Ive never seen them do anything like that in all my years of hunting" - deep down I really wanted to say "Yes, thats because you've never let them get close enough to do that, let alone even watch them before shooting them"
Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 AM

Yes, I would say that it is a very neat experience to see whitetail going about their business in the field, sometimes, if I've already killed a deer earlier in the season, I'll just sit back and admire the beauty of nature, and not worry so much about harvesting an animal.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Bartender

I was sitting on a stand this past saturday morning when a couple of does and fawns came out and started
to run across the field. I knew they would catch my scent because of a cross wind but what happened
was pretty wild. The mature doe was first and she started across and BAM it was like she hit a wall. She went straight up in the air did a complete 360 and headed right back where she came from and stopped near the field edge. The other deer were like wtf and followed her. Needless to say she went right back into the woods but it was pretty wild to see and really makes you think about having the wind in your favor. I wasnt after any doe's.
This was the first year for bow season I played the wind no matter what and got my 14 pointer.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's the best part of hunting IMO. I love letting the little ones walk by me 5 yards away during archery season. There is nothing cooler than seeing how they act. Especially like you said when they know something is up and they are looking for you.

I was climbing up my climber this year. I got about 8 or 9 feet up, I look to my left, and a little 4 pointer was walking my way. My camo was laying on the ground because I didnt' want to sweat while climbing. This little dude is heading directly for me. I knew I was going to be busted any second being not very high in the tree and sticking out like a sore thumb. Long story short, he hung around for 20 minutes sniffing everything in sight including my tow rope, bow,and gear laying on the ground. Couple times he'd get a whiff of something that freaked him out and he'd take a few hops backwards real quick and look around. A couple of times I was looking at him through the platform of my climber. The whole time I was just hugging the tree laughing my butt off. Cool stuff indeed.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think we all have some sense of nature when we can sit and watch the wildlife do it's thing. You actually can learn from it if you watch it. Have you ever noticed that a deer will suddenly look at you ---- I think its like us they can tell something isstaring at them . Just try it sometime. dont look at them and see if they dont go on about there way. I too am a head hunter so I allow many deer to pass without a care , and they do some amazing things.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more. Once you've determined that he's not a shooter then the anxiety goes away and it's cool to watch him mull around sniffing the air and stomping his foot. Actually it's a neat way to see how scentfree you are.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM

I love watching whitetails, almost as much as I love hunting them. In the off season I set up blinds and get my video camera and just relax and watch the deer. They are amazing animals.....
Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in agreement with everyone.It is all part of the fun and the learning and the appreciation of the animal.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM

Yeah it's awsome watching them. I saw two itty bitty does in the field the other day-they had to be sisters. I just watched them play and explore the field. Hate to admit it but they were cute. Watching animals besides deer is cool too.