HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Outfitters, guides, etc. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/167183-outfitters-guides-etc.html)

spudrow 11-27-2006 06:07 PM

Outfitters, guides, etc.

Outfittersand huntingguides . Sometimes I think it just isn't right to pay someone for the priviledgeof killing game. Is it really hunting? After all, every thing is done for you, the scouting, the stand set up, the placement of the shooter, being told what animal to shoot, being driven to the area. Now I know there are some guides on this forum and I am not trying to get you all mad at me, I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same? I do realize there may be extenuating circumstances. Your thoughts please.

timbercruiser 11-27-2006 06:43 PM

RE: Outfitters, guides, etc.

You pay for other things, why not for assistance in hunting? You pay for someone changing your tires, does that make you a non driver. You pay for someone to make a hamburger, does that make you a non eater? ETC. If you want to pay for a guide (some places require one), no problem to me.

mohunter09 11-27-2006 08:30 PM

I personally do not like it, I think it takes the "hunting" out of hunting, like I've said previously whats the point in hunting if you dont have to do anything, choose placement, stratedgy, scout, its all part of the experience, I wouldnt have any fun just shooting it while someone else told me how to hunt, infact its the control in hunting that makes it fun. Anyways, no offense to the guides/outfitters out there,.

zrexpilot 11-27-2006 08:58 PM

How wouldI know what to do or where to go if I went to another state to hunt ? I would need some help. Nota thing wrong with it.

mohunter09 11-27-2006 09:10 PM

You should still be fairly similar with where to take your game unless your not familiar with the game your hunting , then I MAY see it necessary

diamondaranch 11-28-2006 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: spudrow

Outfittersand huntingguides . Sometimes I think it just isn't right to pay someone for the priviledgeof killing game. Is it really hunting? After all, every thing is done for you, the scouting, the stand set up, the placement of the shooter, being told what animal to shoot, being driven to the area. Now I know there are some guides on this forum and I am not trying to get you all mad at me, I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same? I do realize there may be extenuating circumstances. Your thoughts please.
Huge demand for it or our ranch would not have stayed in this family for over 100 years. Livestock doesn't cut it anymore.

best of luck

NY Bowhunter 11-28-2006 05:34 AM

I think it's ridiculous to have someone else do everything except pull the trigger for me. I can't see how anyone can get any satisfaction out of shooting an animal under those circumstances.

How wouldI know what to do or where to go if I went to another state to hunt ?
It's called hunting. What are you talking about? Get a map. Do some scouting. Figure it out all on your own.

tsoc 11-28-2006 05:41 AM

I have no problem with someone using a guide or outfitter.From a practical point of view there are some species that require the use of a guide.Say your from the east coast and you want to hunt Grizzily's or sitka black tail deer or Kodiak Brown bear,Dall Ram,Moose etc..How practical is it that you can do these hunts as do it yourself hunts?

Or you want to go on a deer hunt and it is either a once in a life time hunt or so far away you can't possibly scout the area you want to hunt.There are countless other examples of why using an outfitter or guide makes sense,and I see no reason to look down our noses at someone who chooses to go that route.

I hunt unguided out of state every year,but I go to the same place and have been doing so for 8 years.This has allowed me to get to know an area which in turn means I can hunt it more productively.

I am nota fan of enclosures or no kill no pay,or preserve's where you pick your animal from a menu,that stuff sickens me! But a fair chase outfitter/guide I have no problem with.

DoctorDeath 11-28-2006 05:56 AM

A lot of professional people who work all the time do not have the luxury or the the time to get out and be able to spend time in the woods scouting so when they do get a break they opt to go on a paid hunt ...I have to think since its their money they should be able to spend it where ever they choose .... now I understand if some might not consider this tradional "hunting" but the definition on hunting has a lot of different meanings and who are we to judge as long as it is legal?

dd

Bob H in NH 11-28-2006 06:22 AM

I see nothing wrong with it, especially if it is in a different part of the country for a species you know nothing about. I have been on two guided elk hunts. Now being from New England, we just don't get much chance to view elk and learn their habits, etc. The terrain out west is totally different and scouting is not an option when you have to pay several hundred dollars to fly or drive out there.

Using an outfitter is a short cut to the learning curve on a new area and new game animal. If you are using an guide that acts as you say, "does everyting except pull the trigger" then you are missing out on alot of the fun. the outfitter I have used has taught me to call elk, both cows and bulls, taught me about elk habits etc. I could "probably" manage on my own, but what about access to land? It would take years of trips out west at the expense of family time, vacation, money etc. to get anywhere close to the success chance I have with an outfitter.

Personally I don't see myself paying a guide to hunt whitetails, because I have those here, but for other species in different parts of the country/world, I see nothing wrong with it.