Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

odd thanksgiving situation

Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Default odd thanksgiving situation

Here's the story,
My buddy is a huge fisherman and never deer hunted. I have been hunting what I thought was abig 10pt. for the last 2 yrs. on my grandparents land. He found out I was going down for thanksgiving and wanted to go so off we went. We left at 1:30 in the morning the night before and drove the 5 and a half hours straight there. We changed into our camo on the way and once we got out of the truck we went straight to our stand. I had decided that I would let him get a crack at the buck since hehad never killed a deerso I put him in the stand and headed off down the ridge somewhere else. 20min later I hear a gun go off. I just knew he had busted the big 10 b/c I had told him to only shoot a 8 or better or a doe(We have been trying to let our young bucks grow to at least 3yrs. old). I got there and a big spike was laying on the ground. I was standing there a little aggravated getting ready to field dress the deer when I see movement up on the hill. I told him not to move I thought I saw another buck. I just layed down resting on the deer he had just shot aiming up the ridge looking for an opening. and then here he came. I only saw him for a second and knew I better shoot before he smelled us. Good thing too. It was the big 9 pt.I just got pics back today of our deer. I will post soon. He said he thought the spike he shot was a doe. He is a good friend of mine so I just let it go. The spikes were easily long enough to see though.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: odd thanksgiving situation

Congrats to both of you for coming back with full hands in one morning!

Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Guys,
the thing I forgot to mention was that it only took me 10 min. to get to him after the shot. I would have figured that the mature deer would have heard the shot and turned tail the other way, instead it kept coming in.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never been one for placing conditions on taking someone hunting, epecially when they haven't really been before and are kind of jumpy, and are probably just looking to shoot their first deer. Its kind of like taking a sailor who has been at sea for 6 months into a singles bar and telling him he should only go after the red heads.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

I feel for you but this might help the next time you or anyone else contemplatingtaking an unexperienced deer hunter out.Stay with him. I never let anyone hunt on my property alone until I am satisfied they know what to shoot, how to shoot,and when to shoot.

Congrats on your buck. Can't wait to see picts.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience, gunshots don't seem to bother deer that much. I have been in a treestand with deer right under me and a shot would ring out very close and the deer wouldn't even flinch. It doesn't make sense though.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

It clearly makes since, deer are just like us, we ignore the bird sounds, and cows moo'ing and dont run away, humans drive cars and planes fly over, a gun shot I can understand might make one curious but I've had more luck seeing deer after shooting, on different animals as well as deer.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:05 PM

You know what it's like taking your first deer let this one slide.Last year my dad shot a doe just finished field dressing her was just going to start dragging her out and an 8point walked walked down the trail he was standing on.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: isatarak

In my experience, gunshots don't seem to bother deer that much. I have been in a treestand with deer right under me and a shot would ring out very close and the deer wouldn't even flinch. It doesn't make sense though.
I shot a deer on a field edge and while I was cleaning it I felt something looking at me from behind.
When I looked, there were 2 does about 30 yards back staring at me!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Whhaaattt?

Quick Reply: odd thanksgiving situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.