Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle resto help needed

Old 11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rifle resto help needed

I posted in the rifle section but for some reason whenever I post in there no one ever replies to me soI'll try here. I have a Marlin .22 that my Grandparents gave me for my 12th birthday. This gun has some minor rust on the barrel that I would like to get fixed and I would also like to sand down the stock and redo it also but not sure what to use. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:21 AM

Default RE: Rifle resto help needed

You can rmove the rust with a little light rubbung with steel wool, but it will come right back if you dont keep it oiled well. You could take it to a gunsmith who does blueing and have it reblued, that would probably be best, but I dont know how expensive. On the stock, you could use a chemical stripper to remove the old varnish or whatever coating they put on it. My grangpa always rubbed them down with linseed oil, he would get them sanded and steel wooled until they are smooth, then start rubbing coats of linseed oil with his bare hands,, he would rub on heavy coats, than let it soak in for a good while a few hours or evernight, he would get 10-20 coats on it, before it would stop soakng in any more, it gave the wood a dark color, and looked real good. I have a couple of his guns done this way, and they still look great, and if he scratched them, he could just rub on some more oil over the scratch, and it would almost completely disappear.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Rifle resto help needed

To remove rust on the barrel use some gun oil and 0000 steel wool, that will be delicate enough to remove surface rust.